Thread: Professional Video Camera Head Ache!

Default Professional Video Camera Head Ache!

I'm looking at buying some filming equipment. I have used cameras before but looking for something more professional.

It is to record motocross and it must be HD.

Ideally i would like 1 main camera and maybe a smaller more hand held camera for a different angle.

I have been told panasonic is the brand to go for but would like some guidance.

Obviously the cheaper the better but my budget would be anything up to 5000.

Is buying second hand an option? It i can buy the same setup for something half the price is it worth it or should i just stick to buying new?

Thanks In advance,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Craigboi View Post
    ..I have been told panasonic is the brand to go for but would like some guidance...
    Love 'advice' like that - not. There is a vast array of brands that are worth considering. Dont just limit yourself to one. Check this page at Pro Av for a good selection of pre-owned equipment - your 5k will go a fair way - but dont forget - tripods, mics, batteries and so on - at all adds up!

thanks for the quick reply fellah. i knew that there must be a page for 2nd hand pro cams. Have you ever brought through this web site?

If you where in my shoes what sort of brands/camera would you be looking at.

thanks again

** some are now recording onto SD cards is this better then mini DV?
    Last edited by Craigboi; 10-16-2009 at 02:25 PM.

Blog Entries

I've had a lot of gear from Pro Av - both new and second-hand. My advice with regard to brands is simple - I can't advise you. You really have to take a trip down, have a look and feel of the kit, try it out, see what is comfortable to you and make a decision that way. The guys there are very helpful... give them a call....

im going to do some more research before i jump into anything i know exactly what i want to achieve and the last thing i want is to buy something that wont produce that.

I will be sure to give them a call.

cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    ...I had two machines to get DV from my old cameras into the edit suite, to save head hours on the cameras. One is about 18 months old, the other about 3 years. The 3 year old one needed a new set of heads. More than the machine would fetch second hand..
    I just get old second hand cheap dv cameras from the dreaded second hand shop to use for capture. 50 well spent in my view.

I am firmly stuck in the tape age camera wise, although I usually capture straight into laptop too whilst filming....
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 10-16-2009 at 03:17 PM.

The last thing i want to do is buy an out of date camera or rather out dated technology. So i am guessing mini DV is going to be around for quite a while yet but the SD will be the new technology in the way of recording?

Hi
    I'm also in the industry and can tell you that like cars, cameras are a personal preference due to the differences in size, weight, technology and so many other factors. I have two JVC GY-HD100 which is MiniDV format and whilst I would love to upgrade the cost of doing so makes it too expensive right now. Anyway, MiniDV is here for a while.

What you need to consider is that not only do you buy the camera you also need to buy batteries, lights, mics, case, tripod etc. which even a camera costing 2000 - 3000 altogether you will end up spending at least another 1000 - 1500. If you're going to invest make sure you have done your homework and worked out what it is 'really' going to cost you. Personally I think to fully kit up with what you're looking for you will need a bigger budget. However with just a single camera you can get some lovely kit.

BTW - I may be selling one of my GY-HD100 which has very low hours. If you're interested contact me by reply to this message.

Regards and good luck.