Thread: Computer and process to edit AVCHD

1. Default Computer and process to edit AVCHD

I'm a new user so I apologise if I sound a bit unknowledgeable.

My mum has a Sony XR-520VE, and on it is 42GB of Full 16Mb/s footage from our recent safari to Botswana.

The problem is her computer is not capable of viewing or recording the AVCHD footage.

I have tried it on my MacBook Pro 13 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM and it can be viewed effortlessly once imported into iMovie (thus converted to AIC).

This wouldn't be a problem if the converted footage wasn't 300GB in size (bloated for lossless). It is fab for editing but when I've only got a 500GB HDD in my Mac, and a 2TB external, this is positively too much (I have at least 500-1TB of Photographs). Mum only has a 500GB external at the moment.

So I suggested the following to her -

MacBook Pro 13, 15 or 17 depending on what screen size and capabilities she wants.
    Turbo.264 HD
    iMovie (Included with Mac)
    WD Passport Elite 500GB (for backup of HDD)
    500GB 5400rpm internal HDD
    Apple 24" LED for viewing (not sure if she will need this with a 1080p Sony Bravia + PS3 already in the lounge)
    + (in the future)
    Toast 8 + BD Plugin + External LG USB BD-RE DL Drive

The Turbo.264 HD is for converting the AVCHD to H.264 rather than AIC which takes up GB in space.
    Is there another way of converting the footage to retain the quality of AVCHD?

iMovie is very easy to use, but only for standard definition.
    Is there a way (combining other programs if necessary), of using iMovie and Toast + BD to write Blu-Ray discs from her footage?

Anything else you recommend?

Also, is the quality of Turbo.264 HD equivalent to encoding with Adobe Media Encoder?
    And, does Turbo.264 HD automatically deinterlace files from AVCHD from 50i to 25p?
    I have used the above to convert AVCHD to H.264 and it is very very good. However, it doesn't deinterlace the file properly and so I still get lines. It also takes around 12-16x realtime which would mean that converting all the footage we have would take around 96HRS!!!

Thanks for your help and I hope to hear from you soon,

AVCHD is a technology based on H.264. basically is the same technically but for it to be "AVCHD", it must meet the specifications set by Panasonic and Sony.

Your best option in my opinion would be to convert the footage to AIC and put the footage onto it's own external hard drive.