Thread: is this machine right

1. Default is this machine right

Hi

Looking for a new notebook to do HD video editing on at an amateur/beginner pro level with projects ranging from 5min to 1hr/1hr 30min with effects and transitions built in. my reason for a notebook is I will be doing some long travelling in the new year and will be filming my time and making something of it.
    I will be using an external harddrive to store my projects on so the notebook stays at its peak but one notebook I can get a expresscard/34 port to put in adaptors. Im not worried about card readers as I have an usb one the main reason I was looking was the eSATA II 300 ExpressCard Adapter I could get for it, as it looks to be able to run an external harddrive and run/store my projects faster and leaving my notebook to stay at a peak performance.

My main two questions are

1:would this laptop be up for the job with the spec below.

Intel core due 3.06ghz
    4gb ram (2x 2gb)
    Graphics card

2:Would the Express card be worth it for the harddrive?

cheers

2. Default

sorry the graphics card is

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor; and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory3

It depends what you'd call HD.

I won't do AVCHD, but it should do HDV.

I don't think the pci express card is worth it, i run a lot of my projects of a usb hard drive.

A pci express card with sata on my be useful if you do a clean install of windows onto it and then you use the windows installed on the laptop for everyday use. that way the computer while editing will always work at it's best.

As Smifis said, it depends on what you mean by HD. If it is AVCHD then a laptop will not do the job, you need serious grunt under the bonnet to handle those files and you want to include effects and transitions aswell. Also 60 to 90 minute projects will fill up a laptop hard disk very quickly. On the otherhand if it is HDV you might be able to do it using a laptop. A dual core processor is no good for this type of work, you will need a quad core and a 1333mhz FSB which I doubt your laptop has, for AVCHD work.

5. Default

Cheers for the reply guys

I will be using my Canon HV20 to do all the filming and it hasnít any AVCHD option only HDV, all the projects will be on an external HDD to keep the notebook at full steam.

Sounds like the PCI will be worthless would there be any reason apart from the SATA to use it?

Firewire perhaps. thats would be the opnly useful option and a must-have if your laptop doesn't have one built in.

7. Default

also would a solid state drive be worth getting on the notebook?

would it make any differance?

and what about recover if theres a problem?

cheers

Solid state drive as the main boot drive?

Solid state on t#any machine will dramatically improve overall system performance but it will not speed up things such as encoding. thats all down to the cpu.

9. Default

cheers guys, i dont think i'll get the ssd drive it only opens programmes quicker rather have more space.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I found there was one program that needs a graphics card and that was Pinnacle Ultimate 12, not that I use it, but just in case I thought I would mention it. I also edit AVCHD 1920x1080i with a 3GHz Intel core 2 duo with 2 GB ram and XP and the only limitations I've found is the rendering times average around 8X real time.