Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bouncing tracks down to simplify editing

1. Default Bouncing tracks down to simplify editing

When editing something such as our music video, is it acceptable to bounce groups of tracks down & assemble these to form the finished product or will we regret it later.
    We're working with loads of tracks & it's becoming unmanageable & our PC cant handle it & neither can we!
    Will video quality suffer in the end result?

Thanks

Sarah & Allison

To answer your question first Yes. Just as with bouncing down music tracks you do loose some quality and flexibility. However I don't understand how you could have loads of tracks. Sorry to ask this but you do know you don't have to have a separate track for each clip?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    ... I don't understand how you could have loads of tracks...
    Quite easily - The last music video I did had eleven 'live' takes. And for ease of work, I left each one on its own track. Moving clips up and down can only complicate matters further.

Your talking about a level much higher than I'm at.

5. Default

Thanks for reply Midnight Blue.
    We know quite a lot about audio recording & editing & very little about video.
    So we new the effects of bouncing audio tracks down but thought we'd better check if video fared the same.
    Looks like it's going to be a compromise then, something we'll try to avoid until it becomes inevitable.

Sarah & Allison

I came from an audio background but back in the days when we recorded on reel to reel. (now I'm showing my age). So bouncing really made a difference in the analogue days, not so much in the digital era. I've never heard anyone use the term bouncing in relation to video editing. What sort of a video are you producing?

Blog Entries

Hi Sarah & Allison (& Tina)

You will lose flexibility (you can't undo an edit that's been "bounced down"), but you won't lose quality unless you further edit (especially zoom) the already edited clips.

As you have loads of tracks you must be using Vegas Pro. If so I have some GOOD NEWS for you. You can use NESTED PROJECTS.

So, you have a section of a number of video tracks which are just about completed and you want to bounce them down. Remove everything else from the project and save it as something else (eg "sectionA.veg").

In a new project (or your original project), you can now drop that veg file onto the timeline and it will treat it as if it is one clip.

So, as far as editing your master project goes, it is only one clip, BUT, if you want to redit it, you can still reopen the nested project.
    Tim

Bounce down? Can someone explain what that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Bounce down? Can someone explain what that is?
    It goes back to the days when mutitrack recording was done on tape and the number of tracks was limited. So they would for example record the drums using four tracks one for bass drum, one for hi hat, one for snare, one for other cymbals and tom toms and then mix them down onto one track thus freeing up three Tracks for other instruments.

This is called bouncing down.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    As you have loads of tracks you must be using Vegas Pro. If so I have some GOOD NEWS for you. You can use NESTED PROJECTS.
    That is marvellous news Tim, & will make editing much more enjoyable.
    Thank you once again for putting us back on course!

I'm sure the term 'Bouncing Down' is still in use in digital multitrack audio recording. We use n-Track & we can only have picked up the term from its user forum.

Sarah & Allison & Tina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast