Thread: Creating a huge zombie mob

Default Creating a huge zombie mob

I'm planning to film a post-apocalyptic zombie movie soon, and have been wondering how to film a huge mob scene. I'm got about 10-15 actors, and I'd like to film them running down a hillside. Ideally, I'd like to be able to edit the footage and clone the actors so that it would look like dozens of zombies running down the hill. I've seen some tutorials on how to make simple masks and clone one or two people, but that doesn't really apply to what I want to do---I don't think.

I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CS4, and am somewhere between an intermediate and advanced user.

How can I best achieve the effect I'm looking for?

Probably greenscreen, or get a lot of people. the latter will be your best option.

Thanks, but I was already pretty sure those were my options. I'm looking for an alternative to getting more people involved. I'm trying to learn a cloning technique, which would be pointless if I already had a hundred people.

If you know a great way to greenscreen a hillside, can you give me some advice?

Blog Entries

Ignore Smifis (we do).

One way would be to lock the camcorder off on a tripod. Film your guys running down the hill in the left side of the frame, then another shot (without moving the camera) with the crowd in the middle, then another with them on the left side of the frame. All three are then combined in the edit.
    Important is that, on each take, the Zombies keep in their area and don't wander.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    Ignore Smifis (we do).
    Cheers for that. just because i'm a student doesn't mean i thick.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    One way would be to lock the camcorder off on a tripod. Film your guys running down the hill in the left side of the frame, then another shot (without moving the camera) with the crowd in the middle, then another with them on the left side of the frame. All three are then combined in the edit.
    Important is that, on each take, the Zombies keep in their area and don't wander.
    I woudl like to add that don't have the same people on the front and try and juimble up as much as possible.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: Okay, I did some test shooting and editing. Again, I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. I figured out how to make it look like I cloned someone by using the linear transition effect, and it looks reasonably good. However, I saw an effect in Sony Vegas that used masks to accomplish the same effect, and it looked much more advanced. Can Premiere Pro CS4 do that? What about if I'm trying to make use the linear transition effect with three or more clips at a time? I'd really like to figure out how to use masks, though.
    Last edited by Madrak; 10-13-2009 at 06:00 AM.

still looking for help. I got the simple linear transitions to work in CS4, but that's definitely not as effective as the masks in Sony Vegas. This video shows something like what I'm talking about as far as creating masks goes: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsCZ2y-Pikk]YouTube - Cloning Tutorial - Sony Vegas[/ame]

Can Adobe CS4 do that?

You say Adobe CS4, do you have the whole suite or just Premier Pro? You would use After affects to do this, jut create a mask as per the Sony Vegas version.