Thread: HELP! I cant convert this format!

Default HELP! I cant convert this format!

Ok, I recently happened upon a copy of the movie 300 a friend of mine had. I snatched it to put on the htpc I'm building my brother. The source, supposedly is HDTV China(?), and its a transcode stream mpeg-2. Now I am the definition of noob when it comes to video formats and encoding, so understand that first. Heres what I can tell you, none of your normal programs can play this video. VLC doesn't even play it, only the audio is played and the video is non existent. The ONLY player that will play it is KMPlayer. Cyberlink Director 8 doesn't recognize it, and windows media center doesn't recognize it either, which is what I would like to have play it if possible. I have done the google scour of the internet and happened upon many different free programs, none of which seem to like these file. I should note also that its split up into 6 different files, dvd-5 size to be exact, and in total its a little under 22 gbs. Here is the info that I can pull off of kmplayer......
    Video
    format: vc-1
    format profile: AP@L3
    colorimetry: 4:2:0
    scan type: progressive
    There are 3 different audio streams to choose from, one being chinese and I sure as heck don't need that. The htpc will capable of all the latest audio formats, as will the amp(more on that in another thread). I just want to use the best audio feed of the two. I think the audio portion will be much easier than the video.

What program will work to convert this to a wmp/wmc friendly format???

Thank you in advance!

obtw I'm running windows 7 and have the latest wmp, obviously.
    Last edited by joeyc; 10-11-2009 at 04:12 PM.

You need to reformat the Stream MPEG into an Editable form One tool is a program called VideoReDo TV Suite. You can down load a Free Trial From Here OR there is a free down load of Any Video Converter

Okay, the VideoReDo gave errors and wouldn't read the files. The second one, Any Video, reads it but it brings up another question. What should I convert it to? Size isn't an issue, I want to retain as much of the original quality as possible. It must be windows media center friendly as well. Also, I'm not seeing where this program is more than 2 channel audio friendly. Am I going to have to mix the audio in with a different program?

BTW Thank you, so much, for the reply on this!

I would save it as an .AVI and keep the size and bit rate etc. the same as they are on the origional. This should give you the best quality. If you find the file is to big you can always experiment with other file types until you get the file size and quality you want.

Sorry, I don't think AnyVideoConverter can handle more than two audio channels.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyc View Post
    Ok, I recently happened upon a copy of the movie 300 a friend of mine had. I snatched it to put on the htpc I'm building my brother. The source, supposedly is HDTV China(?), and its a transcode stream mpeg-2. Now I am the definition of noob when it comes to video formats and encoding, so understand that first. Heres what I can tell you, none of your normal programs can play this video. VLC doesn't even play it, only the audio is played and the video is non existent. The ONLY player that will play it is KMPlayer. Cyberlink Director 8 doesn't recognize it, and windows media center doesn't recognize it either, which is what I would like to have play it if possible. I have done the google scour of the internet and happened upon many different free programs, none of which seem to like these file. I should note also that its split up into 6 different files, dvd-5 size to be exact, and in total its a little under 22 gbs. Here is the info that I can pull off of kmplayer......
    Video
    format: vc-1
    format profile: AP@L3
    colorimetry: 4:2:0
    scan type: progressive
    There are 3 different audio streams to choose from, one being chinese and I sure as heck don't need that. The htpc will capable of all the latest audio formats, as will the amp(more on that in another thread). I just want to use the best audio feed of the two. I think the audio portion will be much easier than the video.

What program will work to convert this to a wmp/wmc friendly format???

Thank you in advance!

obtw I'm running windows 7 and have the latest wmp, obviously.
    If this movie came of a PVR recorded from a digital TV station you might have to use ProjectX to clean up the file for playing on a computer Project X - DVB demux Tool | Get Project X - DVB demux Tool at SourceForge.net
    another freeware program that might help is SuperC by eRightSoft