Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Band Video

Default New Band Video

Feedback on my latest band video please

I know nothing about music videos so my comments are just based on my own reaction to the piece. I quite liked the track but its not the stuff I normally listen to.

I would have liked to see a close up of the drummer when he first came in rather than the zoom in after he had been playing for a few seconds. In the inside sequence we didnt get to see much of the lead singer actually singing the track which had me wondering if there were synchronisation issues which could not be overcome.

However, outside you had a better selection of shots going on. Be careful of your shadow falling across the talent when your getting in close. There was quite a bit of interlacing jaggies going on in the real close ups when there was a lot of movement on screen which detracted from the polished look. You need to find a better output format for the file you eventually upload to youtube.

Great stuff though so thanks for posting.

Shrimpy

Blog Entries

I'm assuming the sync problems are down to YouTube. Shame because it distracts.

I think the band did a good job of looking the part, rather than obviously lip-syncing and overall you captured the energy well - much more so in the indoor scenes than the outdoor (which is probably just down to the fact that action outside does not look so pronounced)

I was a little confused - did you have two cameramen on the job? The reason I ask is some of the camerawork seemed good - well framed, well composed & thought out and some seemed more at my level of incompetence.

For example there are shots showing just part of the bass guitar/gitarist at the right of the screen in the foreground with the main part of the screen taken up by the drummer/kit in wide angle. This looked intentional and certainly worked for me. Yet there are other shots where people are cut off in all sorts of odd places which look more like "oh that's the only shot we got of that, I guess we'll have to use it". For example at 45 secs the tops of the heads of the two guitarists go out of the frame briefly. Acceptable for footage of a live event, but not really for something staged. Maybe this is intentional to help give it a "live" feel in which case that's fine (though it just didn't work for me)

Similarly there are a few short pans which seem to "hose" a bit rather than going from a definite A to B, and also overshoot at bounce back. There seemed to be quite a bit of "hosing" overall in the outdoor section. Again this may all be intentional.

SIn of sins - cameraman's shadow crosses the subject at 2:55!

Sorry if that all sounds a bit negative, I'm not trying to put it down, indeed if the "suspect" camerawork was intentional then all I've really said was that it doesn't work for me.

I did like the switch to B&W - though possibly some sort of "grungier" looking B&W might be appropriate and I liked some of the "crane" shots.

But most importantly, as I said at the start, you seem to have captured the energy of the band and the music well - not something which is easy to do.
    Tim

Shrimpfarmer,
    Thanks for your comments...
    Your dead right I need to find a file format that is suitable for Youtube, the interlacing effects look awful on a computer screen but images fantastic from a DVD.
    I'll have to convert (when rendering for youtube) to Mpeg4 instead. Hopefully that will cure the probs. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Tim,
    Sync on the file is frame perfect however as you know, Youtube can undo a lot of careful editing.

Answering your question the whole project was shot by myself on one camera with intentional hosing and badly framed shots. This was a requirement from the band. Like yourself, this doesn't make me entirely comfortable with the editing as I'm old school and like things properly framed.
    The band is pure Punk and wanted more shake and hosing however we settled on a compromise that everybody can live with.
    We don't but I'm sure the fans of the band will appreciate the shoddy camera work.
    Thanks for your input.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by solway View Post
    the whole project was shot by myself on one camera with intentional hosing and badly framed shots.
    Well there you go At least I guessed this was a possibility (not too difficult as it wasn't a feature of the other films you've shared with us).
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by solway View Post
    Shrimpfarmer,
    Thanks for your comments...
    Your dead right I need to find a file format that is suitable for Youtube, the interlacing effects look awful on a computer screen but images fantastic from a DVD.
    I'll have to convert (when rendering for youtube) to Mpeg4 instead. Hopefully that will cure the probs. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
    I had exactly the same problems with interlacing. I use premier elements 7 for editing. I read in another post elsewhere that in that PE7 if I right click on a clip I can instruct the software to always de-interlace the clip. I did this for all the clips in my project and then output the file. Uploaded to Youtube and voilą all jaggies were gone and the end result was very clear. Not sure what you use but I guess it will have a similar option.

A quick test with a clip with lots of movement will see if it makes a difference to you. I should add that the file also looked great on PC before uploading to youtube.

Shrimpy

7. Default

This sort of music video relies on the energy of the band & the strength of the song cos there's not a lot else going on really, although the tall rangy bass player probably helped keep our interest.
    It's nice to see that simple still can work in a cliched & saturated market.
    Much respect to anyone who can play a guitar at sub crotch level!

Allison & Sarah

Shrimpy,

Thanks for the tip, I use Vegas, hopefully it will offer the same facility. I'll check it out when the computer comes back from the menders. It became very hot and conked out with all the rendering I've been doing lately. I think an upgrade might be in order. Just hope i haven't lost the hard drive files.

Although experienced in FILM making I'm a baby when it comes to making digital movies, this is where this great forum comes into its own

Alison & Sarah,
    You can do anything below the crotch area, when your only miming.

Hows this for grungie Tim???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast