Thread: Vegas rendering problem: Video too small

Unhappy Vegas rendering problem: Video too small

Hello everyone!

I'm quite new to video editing, especially when it comes to Vegas and miniDV recording! But I just got a miniDV cam and I know how to import the clips to Vegas with Capture. I also know the basic editing techniques. But I just have this problem that I don't understand: I import or capture 720x576 video into Vegas and edit the clips but when I am finished and want to render the movie, the final movie is so small compared to the original clips. It's like a small video in the center of WMP when I play it. And it is set to show 100%. It doesn't matter which format I use and I've tried different settings. You can see what I'm talking about here:

Can anyone help me?? I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you!
    Gladstone Gander

Check you project settings are correct (see my site for tips)
    How do I select the right Project Template?

make sure you chose the correct render template, use MPEG 2 DV PAL

Hello!

Thank you very much for your reply. I've tried using the folder icon in templates to make Vegas check the right settings. It changed the template to widescreen and that was the only thing it changed. I tried using this template but when I render the movie with these settings it still looks wrong, it is still too small but this time it is too "squared" compared to the original so that everything looks like it is pressed together from the sides. So unfortunately this method didn't work :-( I really don't know why this happens.

I need to you to write out exactly what template settings you have for doing the WMV render.

I have just rendered to the default WMV setting and I am getting full frame in WMP. Nothing like you are getting. Somehow you ARE twitching the sizing. Has VEgas an ability to re-size to "small" when playing back? Are you previewing in Vegas or WMP?

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    I need to you to write out exactly what template settings you have for doing the WMV render.

I have just rendered to the default WMV setting and I am getting full frame in WMP. Nothing like you are getting. Somehow you ARE twitching the sizing. Has VEgas an ability to re-size to "small" when playing back? Are you previewing in Vegas or WMP?
    I wasn't rendering to .wmv I need MPEG-2 because I want to make a DVD with the movie. So I tried creating a finished .mpg movie (MPEG 2 DV PAL). When I play the video after the rendering I use WMP 11.

I have tried rendering to .wmv. Then I get a full frame size but it's lacking a lot when I play it in WMP. I think it's creating a HD video and it's not even recorded in HD! What I need is a MPEG-2 file.

Here is the template of the movie that I'm trying to render:

PAL DV Widescreen (720x576; 25,000 fps)

That's the template I get when I match the template with my media files and it should be the right settings. By the way, my camera is a Sony DCR-HC62E! Note that the problem with the small video appears in the finished movie after the rendering. Not when previewing inside Vegas.
    Last edited by Gladstone Gander; 10-09-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Yes you need MPEG2 for DVD.

Yes you were playing in WMP to "check".

No you don't render to WMV for DVDs.

Now you are saying you want widescreen. Is your original material WS? Was it shot in widescreen? Or are you cropping for WS? It appears to me from your original WMP examples, you have a 4x3 rendered INTO a WS Template. If that is the case then you have flattened picture squashed into the 16x9 format.

So, what was the original material shot in 4x3 or 16x9?

Y'know, I am re-looking at those examples, and the rendered one is looking more and more like a WS within an overall 4x3 frame. It appears to me that you have achieved getting 4x3 footage ( if that's how it was shot?) squashed to WS, look at the image you can see the road is going away at a shallower angle, but then showing in a 4x3 frame. You have ended up with both "pillar box" and "letter box" borders!

If you shot in 4x3 and you want to end up with 16x9 WS you are going to have to loose a strip of material at the top and bottom. Then you can start over. But this way you appear to be pulling media into a 16x9 shape without being aware of the consequences of loss of frame ratio integrity - it's lost its shape!

Red face

I am sorry but I made a huge mistake in the pictures I uploaded! The first picture is not what the original footage looks like. The original footage was shot in 16:9 and looks like the rendered one but the rendered version is much smaller. So actually the original footage and the rendered movie look the same, both widescreen, the only difference is the size.

I can't take any screenshots and show it to you because Windows won't let me take print screens of videos. In the screen shots there is only a black screen :-(

Thanks for helping me, much appreciated!

Talking

Hey I found out how to do it right! I tried choosing "DVD Architect PAL Widescreen video stream" when rendering! I still render as MPEG-2 but with this setting instead of "DVD PAL" I get a perfect result. I also noticed a "=" sign next to this template setting so I decided to try that one.

Again, thank you very much for your replies! Now I know how to do it right in the future.