Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AVCHD New-B W/ HF S100

1. Default AVCHD New-B W/ HF S100

This is my first post after doing a fair amount of research.
    I have no experience editing AVCHD and with a new Canon Vixia HF S100 on the way I need a little advice, mostly in regards to editing software.
    I have heard really good things about Sony Vegas. Would this be a good option and what version? Or is there a more recommended software package that works with the AVCHD format?
    I apologize for having to post such a basic question, but I figured that it was time to get some solid info with the camera almost here.
    Thank you all for your time. Hopefully I'll have some good visuals to share with all of you soon.

Blog Entries

Hi Blane and welcome.

Good choice with the Canon. A few of us here have got Vixias, I've got the HF11 and love it. Just a quick question... PC or Mac? If you've a Mac I can really recommend Final Cut, If you've a PC then I'm sure someone will come along in a moment and point you in the right direction...

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    Hi Blane and welcome.

Good choice with the Canon. A few of us here have got Vixias, I've got the HF11 and love it. Just a quick question... PC or Mac? If you've a Mac I can really recommend Final Cut, If you've a PC then I'm sure someone will come along in a moment and point you in the right direction...
    I suppose that I would have to claim to be a PC guy but I think that it would be great to own a Mac for editing and pretty much anything media related. But yes, the software would be run on a PC.

Any more tips would be great!

I'm in a similar position as you Blane. I have a Panasonic HVX201 arriving tomorrow and I've been looking into this situation. I agree if you have a Mac go with Final Cut Pro but if you have a PC I have found Edius Neo 2 to be quite good. You can down load a 30 day trial version from HERE if you want to give it a try. They require you to register with them (for Free) before you can down load it.

I haven't used AVCHD on it yet but I've found the quality of the codecs are really good on SD which is a good indicator. There video tutorials if needed.

No, I don't work for them but I should get commission after this advert. lol

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I'm in a similar position as you Blane. I have a Panasonic HVX201 arriving tomorrow and I've been looking into this situation. I agree if you have a Mac go with Final Cut Pro but if you have a PC I have found Edius Neo 2 to be quite good. You can down load a 30 day trial version from HERE if you want to give it a try. They require you to register with them (for Free) before you can down load it.

I haven't used AVCHD on it yet but I've found the quality of the codecs are really good on SD which is a good indicator. There video tutorials if needed.

No, I don't work for them but I should get commission after this advert. lol
    Midnight, great suggestion with Neo 2! It sounds like you have SD editing experience with this software. Do you have any video edited with it posted on the net? Anything with effects, special transitions. etc. that would demo its capabilities?

Anyone else please feel free to offer your opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Blane Nelson View Post
    Midnight, great suggestion with Neo 2! It sounds like you have SD editing experience with this software. Do you have any video edited with it posted on the net? Anything with effects, special transitions. etc. that would demo its capabilities?

Anyone else please feel free to offer your opinions.
    I'm only just learning this software. My first little movie using Neo 2 is on but there are no special effects, just a simple title and a couple of fades. The Midnight Blue logo at the end was made with Paint Shop Pro and animated in Pinnacle Studio 10.8.

Like I said earlier the codecs in Edius Neo 2 did a good job with the SD footage considering I shot it on a Panasonic GS200.

7. Default

Midnight, great video! There are some very impressive dear in your shots.

Is it common to have to re-format from AVCHD to work with the editing programs available?

Like I said I've only used it for SD work so far. BUT if your PC is good enough it should work without re-formating BUT then again Pinnacle says it's a stable platform. My new camera arrived today so when I get home from work I'll have a play with it and see what happens over the weekend.

I'm not sure my PC is up to it in HD as it's only dual Core. I think Quad Core processors are recommended for editing in HD format. There are some experienced HD editors on these boards which will be able to advise you better than I can. I am no expert in these matters.

4 GB Ram is recommended along with a quad core processor to playback and edit HD video. I've been using both Sony Vegas Platinum 9 and Sony Vegas Pro 9 recently and they handle raw AVCHD files with no problems. It's great keeping the raw files intact and not changing them to something else and then changing them again to mp4 to upload to the likes of Youtube.

I have a dual core and i can natively edit 720/25p footage with VERY VERY simple cuts in premiere pro so a quad core is a must.

If I do end up editing HD, i convert the footage to a low quality version and use that until i finish and then all i do is right click the video and in the bin and replace the footage with the original.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast