Thread: Archive in compressed format

Default Archive in compressed format

I'm an amateur with a simple DV camcorder. I own Premiere Elements 3.0. Windows XP. Core 2 Duo processor (1.8 GHz I think)./

When I capture tapes, it captures in AVI format. So it makes enormous files. I would like to know the best way to compress these for archival. I can't imagine I need full AVI resolution for a cheap camcorder.

I believe Premiere Elements offers a few other codecs but I don't really understand the differences or the best way. "Best way" means, in part, a way that doesn't take hours, and is SIMPLE.

It would great, in fact, if I could capture to a format other than AVI (a compressed format). That would probably be the simplest of all.

I don't know if using compressed formats makes editing harder. I know that Premiere Elements works well editing AVI files---you can scan through them, cue them up easily, etc. I don't know if this gets harder if your source clips are in a compressed format.

I don't know if compressed formats make it difficult or impossible to master a DVD.

Thanks,
    Mike

When you capture video, the resulting avi file is not uncompressed, it is encoded using dv-avi.

so technically it is compressed but it edits very well which is why we use it. other codecs such as dvix don't edit very well at all, infact, it's almost impossible, i've even had it where frames get mixed up and you don't know what the hell is going on!

when i archive footage, i encode it using the h.264 codec. ( thats my new favorite ) and the resulting file is very samll with brilliant picture quality and i think it would be perfect.

i have never had any problems making a dvd from the h.264 files.