Thread: Camcorder & Editing Software - PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Default Camcorder & Editing Software - PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Hello all.

I am a complete newbie to this industry and need some advice on a few matters.

I need to film & edit footage to a proffesional standard for a project I am soon to be working on.

So far I have recieved the following advice on what to buy/use:

- Sony Z1 Camcorder
    - Apple Final Cut Pro Editing Software
    - Mac Computer to use Final Cut pro software.

Could anyone advise me if I have been recommended reasonable good equipment that will enable me to film & edit footware to a relatively proffesional standard? Also if you know of any companies with reasonable/cheaper prices, if you could let me know who they are, that would be great.

One other point is what the filming would be stored on. Excuse my complete lack of knowledge, but some of the adverts for Sony Z1 camcorders state that the footage is recorded on to cassette tapes still? Im sure with technology, surely footage is now stored directly on to some type of memory card as opposed to recording on to a tape???

If you could give me some helpful advice and tips on the above subjects, I would be more than grateful.

Excuse my complete lack of knowledge, but we all have to start somewhere!

Thanks

Kevin

Hello Kevin

The equipment list is a fair choice. In the right hands a very professional good looking movie could be made. If you are serious about making a good movie you will need to add a good quality tripod onto your list. I don't know if you will be recording sound but if you are I would advise not using the camera Microphone. So a microphone needs to be added onto the list.

Regarding the "cassette tapes" issue. Some DV camcorders records on to Mini DV tape but there is now a shifting trend to recording directly onto memory cards, for example, the Panasonic P2 system, which is just a very posh memory card.

I believe the Sony HVR Z1 records on Mini DV tapes but I'm not really familier with it.

Your shopping list:-
    Camera 3000
    Mac Pro 2000
    Final Cut Pro 500
    Other stuff ??????
    -----------------------------------------------
    Total = many thousands of pounds
    ==========================
    I hope your project is worth the considerable investment you intend to make. If this is for just a one off project it would be cheaper and quicker to get a professional to do it for you.

As I don't know your particular circumstances I can not really comment on that.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 10-08-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Hello Midnight Blue, thank you so much for your reply and input.

A few questions:

- Can you recommend any decent microphones that would be suitbable?
    - Does recording onto tapes lose any quality in footage as opposed to recording onto a cassette tape??
    - Do you have any model number recommendations for the Sony Z1 Camcorder?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Blog Entries

Hi Kevin,

Recording onto tape is no better or worse than recording onto a card. It all depends on the camera and that's where it gets difficult. If you have a bit more money to spend you might well consider the Sony EX1 which records onto cards and is "better" quality-wise than the Z1 but... it is much more expensive and the advantage with tapes is that you have a permanant archive (providing you don't re-use the tapes) which you can always go back to if you somehow "lose" the digital files.

Excellent decision with Final Cut and a Mac.

For a microphone I would recommend the Sennheiser K6 system. Excellent value for money.

The Z1 is getting a bit old now but is a reliable workhorse and hasn't changed much in the last couple of years so, providing you buy from a reputable store (not over the internet) you should have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin.OConnor View Post
    Hello Midnight Blue, thank you so much for your reply and input.

A few questions:

- Can you recommend any decent microphones that would be suitable?
    You need to specify what your shoot will be. ie interviews, action, etc. The Sennheiser K6 is a good directional microphone. BUT you may be better off with clip-on mics. I am not a microphone expert. BUT a search on google for reviews may point you in the right direction.
    - Does recording onto tapes lose any quality in footage as opposed to recording onto a cassette tape??
    Do you really mean cassette tape. If you do the answer is yes.
    - Do you have any model number recommendations for the Sony Z1 Camcorder?
    Z1 is the model number. It's full name is Sony HVR-Z1

I must say you will have a very steep learning curve to get to grips with this gear. Again I recommend if this is for a one off project get a pro in to do it.

Default Cano /Panasonic are proper cameras, Z1 just looks like it

Well

If you are really looking for a proper video camera then
    Canon XL-H1A 3CCD HDV High Definition Professional Camcorder

Panasonic AG-HVX200 1/3" 3CCD 16:9 HD/DVCPRO/DV Cinema P2 Camera

AThey ARE proper cameras and record in HD rather than Z1 which does it in compressed format and it's not really HD, but rather in big size MPEG2, and of course those two cameras have better picture quality in addition of being rated as a proper low budget camera by those who know their stuff.

Well, If you already bought Z1, I feel sorry for you and wish I've found this post earlier.

Cheers