Thread: Syncing seperate audio files with video

Default Syncing seperate audio files with video

I searched around a bit for a similar topic but didn't find any.

So I'm going to edit this project on Adobe Premiere CS4 and add most of the audio in Soundbooth later on. But for now, I'm most interested in making a rough cut and finding the takes that work best. That won't go well without sound. But now I've got my video footage and now the sound guy(audio engineer or whatever it's called in english) sent me the audio that he recorded seperately to his harddrive on set.

So now I'm thinking of a smooth way of syncing the audio to the video. There are at least 3 takes for each shot and so you'd want the syncing process to be fast and easy so you can go through all the takes to find the good ones without it taking forever. I mean, I could just drag each take to timeline, throw in the corresponding audio file, sync with the clapper board and then make an audio subclip that matches the length of the video source file and is in sync.

I'm not used to doing this and so I was just wondering, since this must be a very common part of the job of the editor or audio engineer, is there a better/easier way of doing this? What do you guys usually do?

Blog Entries

The most common working practice (not claiming it's the only one or that it's the best, just what I most commonly see) is:

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    drag each take to timeline, throw in the corresponding audio file, sync with the clapper board,
    ...trim and then link them together.

Job done.

Okay then. Well now I won't have to feel stupid when I do it .

Thanks for the reply.