Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Blind in Time" - Student Film

Default "Blind in Time" - Student Film

Hey there, I'm new to this site and I've been looking on the internet to find places to post work and receive feedback etc, and I found this place (Google is my friend ).

Anyway, I wanna show you guys my second year uni film "Blind in Time", made by myself and a few of my fellow coursemates earlier this year. Since I'm trying to get as much feedback as possible I'm pretty much posting this all over the net (I hope that doesn't count as Spam ), so I hope you're not offended that I'm simply copying and pasting the same thing here as I've done elsewhere, I don't think I could go through typing it all out all over again.

Anyway, here goes:
    ORIGINAL: Hood_Man
    Blind in Time

This is my second year major project for my course Film and Video Production (studying at the Atrium in Cardiff), and it was made by myself and a few other members on my course. Like most projects we all dabbled in every stage of production, but I mostly directed (co-directed with my mate Rob) and editted (with my mate Sophie), and as a group we all contributed to developing the ideas of the film. Scriptwriting and producing was taken up by the remaining 3 members.
    The actor playing Isaac is a good friend of mine (Liam) from uni, and the actress playing Becca is a mate of his. The doctor is a (pretty bad) cameo by me (like most student films we ran out of actors, and having a beard at the time made me look a lot older than everyone else... apparently).

Anyway, the story is basically about a guy called Isaac, a migraine sufferer who experiences visions of time being distorted all around him whenever he has a headache, causing the world around him to stop or speed up dramatically. Throughout the course of the film we discover the cause of these visions, and find out the truth about what's really going on in Isaacs world.

...that makes it sound a lot more pretentious than I intended, but I suck at writing synopses.

Ayway, here's the link to the film;

YouTube - Blind In Time

It's under ten minutes in length, so if you have time to watch it please leave comments (either here or preferably on youtube if you have an account), and any constructive criticisms you may have. I'm used to lecturers tearing my work apart so although my ego still struggles to accept criticism I'm hopefully mature enough to listen to it and, hopefully, learn from it (not sure if that sentence contradicts itself or not ).

p.s. Although we got a high mark for this piece (75%) I'm still not 100% pleased with the sound. Watching it back today I thought about tinkering with certain scenes, such as the time skipping by the road early in the film I though about adding a sound like quiet electrical disturbance sounds (I know what I mean, even if I'm not conveying it very well ), and almost immediately after that there should be a sound of a lift door opening. The echoeing in the doctors office is just dreadful, but we were too rushed to do anything about it unfortunately.

I've kinda lost the will to do anything else with it now though, since it's been marked and everything. If I don't leave it be I'll never be pleased with it.

Not a bad effort. I thought you had a good narrative which I think is important. The main thing you need to deal with on your next film is getting better sound recording. There where times I wanted to give up on the movie because I couldn't hear the dialogue very well. eg In the doctors office. Another thing to look at is the casting. The doctor should have been older.

The camera work, directing and editing was quite good but you loose a mark on focusing. one example was the close up of the shelf in the bathroom was out of focus. If I was editing this I would have left out that shot.

Over all though, a good short movie.

PS I hope you don't think I'm being too critical. I would like to know what equipment you used.

It was filmed on a Sony DCR TRV950e camcorder (my own since the uni's equipment booking is unreliable). The sound equipment was, I assume, your standard directional boom mic, bt I'm not an expert on sound equipment so I'm afraid I don't know what kind it was exactly.

Don't worry about being too critical, I actualy thought those were fair comments. The doctor was a problem since the uni has no mature drama students and none of us have any "older" friends who could do it. As for that out of focus shot of the bottle of pills, well, that was a moment when my co-directors girlfriend decided to snatch the camera off me... what can I say?

But the sound recording, you've nailed it on the head. There's no excuse for us there other than we just didn't do a good job.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hood_Man View Post
    Hey there, I'm new to this site and I've been looking on the internet to find places to post work and receive feedback etc, and I found this place (Google is my friend ).
    This is a great site for amateurs, aspiring pros and indeed pros after comments about a specific issues receive comments. But it is a reciprocal arrangement and we would hope that you will take the trouble to comment on one or two films made by others. Don't worry that you're new to this forum, just dive straight in and comment. Your opinions are just as valid as anyone else's.

(Unless they're bollox of course)
    Tim

Blog Entries

A great little film.

A couple of little niggles (don't take them to heart, they're only my opinion)

In the first time-freeze (on the balcony after the exam) the girl could be seen blinking, I know it's really nit-picking but it's the little things which destroy the illusion. On the tracking shot at the end, your cameraman had difficulty deciding which character to keep in frame with the result that he/she cut off both of them! In the future when that happens, go again and decide on one of the characters (I would suggest the man) and let the other go completely out of frame.

There's no point in going on about the sound, you've realised how important it is for the future projects. Same as the loss of focus. Be ruthless, if it ain't right... do it again.

Apart from that, a nice short film. I'm really looking forward to see what you do next.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 10-08-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Blog Entries

It tells a story and kept me interested.
    What else do you need?

OK, it could maybe annoy me less by not having quite so much deliberate distortion that I couldn't understand what was being said. (If I wasn't meant to understand it, it wasn't distorted enough)

Next most annoying thing was your own acting which I realise you know but I include for completeness in my "most annoying things" to "least annoying things" process.

The next worst annoying thing (and I'm beginning to get very picky now) was the handheld camerawork near the begining. It wasn't steady yet it didn't seem intentionally shakey - as if conveying the main protaganist's disturbed mind , it sat somewhere uncomfortably in between.

Everything else that has been said is true, and, if corrected would make the film better. However, they didn't really impact on my enjoyment of the film because, as I said at the start, It tells a story and kept me interested.

What else do you need?

I particularly enjoyed the two main actors. They were believable and I could empathise with them.

I loved the colour correction used in the flashback (or was it imagination?) shot as well as the sound (for once!). Interesting both are almost cliché ways of showing a flashback, but the particular treatment you used for both video and audio were unusual and gave the film a flavour of its own.

Dissecting further (which I couldn't do on first pass because I was too involved in the story), I got the distinct impression that you'd properly storyboarded this and planned each shot rather than just turned up on location with gear, crew and cast.

Great effort. Certainly superior to some other student work we've seen here. Well done.
    Tim

I'll go along with the aformentioned. The blink annoyed me the most, but it kept me interested throughout (I wasn't yawning after the first 3 minutes). The most amatuerish bit was the stop motion traffic which seemed a little disjointed, but it improved from then on. (Except that blink!!) Wel done.

Thanks guys, lots of helpful comments there. The blink in particular has been brought up a lot by friends and peers as well, and I'm really annoyed at myself for not noticing it until we were well into the final edit. Oh well, guess that's another lesson in "keep an eye on the little things".

There are just 2 things I would like a little clarification over. It's not my intention to question your opinions, I simply want as better understanding of the issues you guys had with the film, so I can prevent myself from making the same mistakes in future.

OK, it could maybe annoy me less by not having quite so much deliberate distortion that I couldn't understand what was being said. (If I wasn't meant to understand it, it wasn't distorted enough)
    I'm guessing you're referring to aduio distortion? If so then I assume you mean moments such as Isaac experiencing his first migraine "attack" on the balcony, when he sees Rebecca frozen and says "Becca?" I genuinely didn't pick up on that as a problem until you mentioned it. Next time I'll have to do more screenings before submission (I don't know if I'm allowed to upload unfinished work on youtube and show it to you guys though, my lecturers are a bit "finicky" about that).
    The most amatuerish bit was the stop motion traffic which seemed a little disjointed, but it improved from then on.
    Do you mean that it didnt make sense or that the effect wasn't subtle enough? It was meant to be another of Isaac's visions of time being distorted, but maybe it was too erratic.

But anyway, thanks everyone, really helpful feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Hood_Man View Post

Do you mean that it didnt make sense or that the effect wasn't subtle enough?
    Traffic is always difficult to get right with stop motion, either moving too fast or too slow for the desired effect. Vehicles changing completely, rather than entering, middling and leaving the frame always (IMHO) looks disjointed. If you shot it on video, it's not much trouble to re-arrange. If shot with stills, another matter!
    HIH

10. Default

this site sucks, cause of the people on it who think they know everything, like yourself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast