Thread: need help making a dvd please read

Default need help making a dvd please read

i am stuck on my project. i have got my dvd main feature completed and it is 2 hours 30minutes and need to render the file to fit on a dvd. do i render in in after effects as 'mpeg-2 dvd' or as 'avi uncompressed' before importing it into encore to make the final dvd. the original footage was imported into after effects as 'avi'.

if i do encode it in after effects to 'mpeg-2 dvd' what settings would be best?

i want to get the dvd in best possible quality, i recoreded it with a mini dvd cam (canon xm1) the quality is good but not HD so need to keep it as clear as possible.

i am getting the dvd mass produced but have never done it before. so i think i get make an iso file to fit on a dual layer disk and give that to the company to make all the copies... is that how it works???

any help would be great

thanks

luke

Yeah you can give them an iso.

It depends from company to company.

to get the best video quality either use uncompressed avi or use adobe's dynamic link to import the after effects file. thats what i always do and haven't found any problems with doing it that way.

rendered my footage, i split it into 5 parts as it takes 10 hours to render each one and if i done it in one go my computer might crash half way and i would lose alot of time, all rendered now but i have 5x 40gb files!!! how can i get them on a 4.7gb dvd??? any ideas? is it even possible to get 200gb to 4.7gb without looking like a super nintendo game?
    thanks

Blog Entries

DVD's are made using MPEG 2 files. Im not surprised you have a trillion gigabytes rendering out as AVI. And shame on Smifis (yet a-feckin-gain!) for advising you to go in that direction.....

My workflow is (using Vegas) edit and render as AVI - this is simply so I have a high quality version to work from.. I then use that AVI to render out the MPEG 2 files (Audio as AC3 to preserve as much room as possible), import into DVD Architect and hey presto - the DVD is created with no further compression at all.

Personally I think Vegas does a better job of conversion from AVI to Mpeg than DVD Architect, although (and Im assuming your s/w will be similar) it will do the job if asked. If the project is still too large to fit, DVDa has a neat 'fit to disc' option (as well as manual settings too of course) that will compress further if absolutely neccesary.
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 10-16-2009 at 11:16 AM.

thanks, i currently only have adobe software, i can render my avi file to mpeg 2 either in after effects cs4 or adobe media encoder cs4 (im quite sure when u render in after effects it uses adobe media encoder) will this program be any good? i also use adobe encore cs4 to make the dvd. i am new to making full length dvds so am very happy for the help. i dont really want to spend any more on software as adobe has cost a small fortune already.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MBE View Post
    ...i dont really want to spend any more on software as adobe has cost a small fortune already.
    And I'm sure you dont have to...

Take your current AVI's, and re-render out as MPEG 2 - YThe files will then be DVD compliant. If you have the option to save your audio as AC3 - it'll save you a ton of room.

yeah i can render that audio format, do u reccomend any settings for the mpeg 2 video....theres alot of ajustments i can make.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't tinker about too much with different settings. Go with whatever template your manual recommends for DVDs.

i belive i said use adobe dynamic link.

This eliminates the need to render out twice.

and i said to get the best quality video render out to uncompressed.

i didn't say put uncompressed video onto a dvd.