Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Race for Life

Blog Entries

Default Race for Life

A one minute film.

ORIGINAL REMOVED - THIS IS THE REVISED VERSION

The idea was to make a short film of my stepdaughter and her friends running in the Kempton Park "Race for Life". This is a sponsored womenonly wall/jog/run event held a various locations throught the UK throughout the summer, raising money for Cancer Research UK.

I soon discovered the foolishness of my idea:

Firstly, it's hard enough to pick out one person running in a crowd of 4000.
    Secondly, the chances of getting a clear shot of that person are pretty slim when they have runners all around them.
    Thirdly, you can't run around the track and and position yourself ahead of your subject .....
    Fourthly, .... especially when there are crowds of spectators impeding your progress

All of this is blindingly obvious now, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Anyway I was very lucky to get myself a spot right on the start/finish line (carry something a bit bigger than a pocket camcorder and a tripod does wonders - people just seemed to assume I was "official". ) The only downside to this was that the finish "arch" cast a horrible shadow over the runners as they went through.

So I've stuck this together as an entry into my club's one minute competition. I'm not generally a fan of a film which is soley a "montage" to music so I've added some of the live comments of the MC & a local radio presenter as well as a few text overlays to give it a bit of a documentary feel.

I think the end result sits (awkwardly?) somewhere between montage, documentary and promo. Not sure. You tell me.

Quality on YT has disappointed a bit this time - in particular it has blurred the crispness of the "slides" & moving text, but you get the idea.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 04-05-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Link revised and corrected
    Tim

Well I am looking forward to commenting on this one Tim. Maybe at the next camp site I will get a 3G signal and the videos will play. I have a lot of catching up to do on everything that's been posted recently.

Good professional Job

Yes I was very impressed, you captured the essence of the day, what it was like to be there with all the people having a good time. Can't say I liked the font that popped up from time to time it seemed a little out of place for me, but good on the whole.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the comments MB & clay_9 (and I look forward to your's Shrimpy).
    Glad you thought it captured the essence of the day - which, as far as I was concerned was overpoweringly pink - (I think I got that message across)

Appreciate the feedback on the font. I'm not averse to changing it, and I'm open to suggestions.

The blue probably stays (because it's Cancer Reseach "corporate colours", and contrasts nicely with the pink ).

I wanted the font to be the same as the one used on the Race for Life literature/publicity material. (It's seen very briefly on a pink bag in the final shot). The closest I could come up with was Mistral, which was pretty similar, though heavier (hence theoretically better for a title).

Sadly it didn't work as it was was not easy enough to read. (The "5km") shooting across the screen was really illegible - it looked like "Skin" if anything.

So the font I'm currently using is a much cleaner font which still retains some of the "handwritten" style of the publicity material. I can't really slow down the movement as it's clearly timed to coincide with the movement of the shots behind.

Maybe I should just abandon trying to mimic the font style altogether and go for something more "standard"?
    Tim

6. Default

Tim you've been really good to us & i wouldnt want you to think we were criticising you.
    It was a perfectly upbeat synopsis of an event motivated by heartbreak,
    (Sarah ran this a couple of years ago after her mum died of cancer), & it did this really well, but personally for me it neglected the emotion behind it all.

Sarah & Allison & Tina

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah & Allison View Post
    Tim you've been really good to us & i wouldnt want you to think we were criticising you.
    The BEST way you can repay me for being good to you is to be honest and criticise. That's what make these forums work. It's good to receive positive remarks, but specific negative ones are even better. These help not only the filmmaker, but other filmmmakers as well.

So my sincere thanks for your comments and don't hesitate to elaborate. In the light of my response below.

It was a perfectly upbeat synopsis of an event motivated by heartbreak,
    (Sarah ran this a couple of years ago after her mum died of cancer), & it did this really well, but personally for me it neglected the emotion behind it all.
    This made me think a while before responding. You see I thought I'd captured the emotion of the event I attended pretty well. Now, I know I am often accused of being insesitive (by my wife) so I searched really hard for anything I may have missed. I really don't think I was insensitive in either capturing or editing the footage of Kempton Park. Indeed I lost a colleague & friend earlier this year to cancer (aged 56) so, whilst hardly in the same league as losing one's mother (I lost mine six years ago - not to cancer, but following a stroke), I think I was "open" to sensitivities.

Maybe the event Sarah ran in was different, but Kempton Park to me was (without wanting to sound too gushing) one of the most uplifting and positive experiences I've been to.

Whilst there were constant tales of heartbreak it was all put across with in a really positive light. "We're talking here to Jane who's running for her sister who died from cancer last year. Well done Jane.(Cheers, applause)". It was all a case of CELEBRATING the fact that all these women were working so hard and to raise money so that together we can beat cancer.
    (Maybe that's the emotion I failed to put across?)

Obviously this was a lot down to the MC and a local radio presenter and the spin they put on it.

The only possible downbeat moment was one minute's silence for those who'd died from cancer. I didn't film this, it felt somewhat disrepectful to leave the camera rolling - anyway I was paying my own respects (there goes my journaistic credibility). Even if I had, I don't think I'd have included any of it - not in a one minute film anyway.

This was more than balanced by one minute's applause for those who have beaten cancer or are currently fighting it.

So, no, the film doesn't reflect the heartbreak of losing someone to cancer. It celebrates the efforts of people working positively together to beat cancer and I believe that is in the true spirit of the series of events which are after all called "Race for Life"

(Now I'm worried that I've come over all defensive. I so hate that)
    Tim

8. Default

Tim
    You didn't need to go soul searching to find a defense for your film.
    It conveys exactly what you saw on the day & you're right, Race for Life is an incredibly positive occaision.
    Unfortunately i was upset, I'd had a few drinks.
    You never get over losing your mum, & it's made worse when your dad remarries quickly & your stepmum hates you & wont let your dad have contact with you.
    I just resented seeing a film about cancer that didn't fit with my mood.
    I apologise.

Blog Entries

You didn't need to go soul searching to find a defense for your film.
    Oh dear. it did come over as defensive didn't it? I wish I could just soiund like I wanted to dicuss it.
    I just resented seeing a film about cancer that didn't fit with my mood.
    I apologise.
    Apology not accepted as none was required. I'm sorry if I stirred bad emotions.

I can sympathise with your loss having been there myself, but the other stuff I can only imagine.

But hey, you're dealing with that by doing something positive and creative with the other girls and I admire you (all) for that.

Can I still criticise your film when it gets made?
    Tim

On a better internet link now. I really like the way you split up the screen with different but related images and the use of colour. It makes me want to try a video like that. Its quite amazing how much can be conveyed in one minute. The only thing I would change would have been to hold the clip where the runner has the pink size on her back. It was just to quick to read, mind you it made me play it again I can see I am going to have to up my game if I am to post on here.

Shrimpy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast