Thread: NEED HELP ASAP dvd after effects or encore??

Default NEED HELP ASAP dvd after effects or encore??

hi, i have a deadline of two days lol i am stuck on my project. i have got my dvd main feature completed and it is 2 hours 30minutes and need to render the file to fit on a dvd. do i render in in after effects as 'mpeg-2 dvd' or as 'avi uncompressed' before importing it into encore to make the final dvd. the original footage was imported into after effects as 'avi'.

if i do encode it in after effects to 'mpeg-2 dvd' what settings would be best?

i want to get the dvd in best possible quality, i recoreded it with a mini dvd cam (canon xm1) the quality is good but not HD so need to keep it as clear as possible.

i am getting the dvd mass produced but have never done it before. so i think i get make an iso file to fit on a dual layer disk and give that to the company to make all the copies... is that how it works???

any help would be great

thanks

luke

You don't render dvd's in After Effects, I tend to edit them in Premiere Pro and then export the file to Encore as it is the program best suited to making dvd's.

i captured the footage in premiere pro and cut it together than exported it as an avi. i then took the footage into after effects and touched it up, put effects in etc. now i need to get the finished product into onto dvd... can i get the after effects file straight to encore without rendering it? or shall i render it as avi and then take it into encore??
    thanks for helping... im very new to this forum and video editing so am happy for any advice

If you've applied effects to it in AE, then you need to render a new version of the file. Render it as a new avi and then take it into Encore.

thanks, one more thing, if i render half my after effect project and half on another computer than can i import 2 files to encore but they will play as one on the dvd? sorry if that doesn't make sence. can't think how to put what im thinking. my computer is slow and saying 48hours to render my 2hr 30min movie in avi. is that normal?? the effects are not to much.

finaly got my film burned to 4.7gb dvd.... quality is so bad! confused on how to get the quality better but keeping it under 4.7gb

You need to put both files into the timeline in Adobe Premiere and render them as one file so Encore can make one dvd for you. As you have 2.5 hours of video, you will need to put quite a bit of compression on that to squeeze it onto a 4.7GB disc and therefore the quality will suffer. I tend to go for either using a dual layer dvd disc or split the video onto two 4.7GB discs with about 1 hour 15 minutes on each.

Niko, that is a half arsed way of doing it. Use adobe Dynamic link.

Dynamic link = no large files + instant updates +vno compression/quality loss

In Adobe Encore, you can import you after effects timelines and place them one after the other onto the dvd timeline. You don not need to re-render although it is best to keep a master avi file anyway.

That's the way I've been doing it and it worked for me. If you've got a different method then by all means publish it. I take exception to the use of the words 'half arsed' as your track record of giving out good advice on here since you started has been abysmal. I've held back from commenting on your advice but you calling yourself a professional and touting for paid work is a joke.

Find me one post where i have clearly stated that I am "professional".