Thread: Video Capture - USB or PCI Card?

Default Video Capture - USB or PCI Card?

After problems with my mini dv camera and the firewire cable/pci card, i need to take a different direction.

So i am thinking i need to go the Video Capture route. Now what is it i need exactly?

Im trying to capture direct from the camera.

Do i need this?

USB TV VHS DVD S-Video Capture Card Grabber xBox 360 UK on eBay (end time 03-Oct-09 10:00:52 BST)

or this

4CH 50FPS CCTV DVR VIDEO CAPTURE CAM PCI CARD BNC/RCA on eBay (end time 03-Oct-09 19:50:28 BST)

Or am i a million miles off the mark?

Can you elaborate on the problems you've had with your camcorder and pci capture card? The first device can only capture from analogue camcorders/vcr's and unless you mini dv has these connections aswell, it will be pointless getting it. Even if it does, it sort of defeats the purpose of having a digital camcorder as analogue capture will never have the quality of a digital capture. Also you cannot connect a firewire cable to it. It does have NTSC: 720 x 480 @ 30fps / PAL: 720 x 576 @ 25fps) which is good but it captures in mpeg format, not my favourite capture format as it is highly compressed to begin with.

Well technically its not the cards fault - its the fault of the camera - the dv port for the firewire cable isnt working.

My camcorder has an av port which i connect to the television via a (excuse my ignorance here) a cable with the red yellow and white leads. I have taken footage already and im a little under pressure to get it edited :S

What in your opinion is the best solution Niko - apart from getting another camcorder with a properly functioning dv port :S

Both of those devices are analogue capture devices, I think you should be able to capture from the second device aswell if it comes with driver software or if you can download driver software for it. But if you wish to enjoy the higher quality video that mini dv offers, and you have the money to spare, then look for a new or second user mini dv camcorder with a working firewire socket.

ok - so what cable do i use with the second device? just the same one i use to connect to the t.v?

I hope I'm not stating the obvious but before you go down the path of no return have you checked that you have not altered the camera settings to disable the firewire socket.

Just a thought.

No i dont think so - the menu is very simple and i cant see any option even remotely as detailed as that :S

The second device uses BNC conncetors which are not that popular now. You should still be able to get a connecting lead with BNC plug on one end and a RCA plug on the other end. The RCA will be plugged into the video out socket on your camcorder. It only has mono audio as I only remember seeing a red RCA socket on it, so you will need a RCA to RCA lead for that or whatever way the AV socket(s) are set up on your camcorder.