Thread: Software to Edit Quality of Video

Default Software to Edit Quality of Video

I am brand new to this forum and starting up with video after a 12-years of not doing video and using film and digital SLRs. I had a Canon L2 way back when and used Videonics editing equipment. I just bought a Canon 7D and am looking forward to having limited video and stills from the same piece of equipment.

I have made a couple of videos, that are on yutube, using my own still shots and Adobe Premier Elements, under the name of ebkw.

I use CS3 right now to process my digital stills. What software is out there that is capable of editing color, saturation and contrast? Pros and cons of each for a PC with lots of hard drive space with 3 GB of RAM, with XP? If there are websites that I should check with information that would be greatly appreciated too!

I did a search on this website but guess I am not asking the right question!

"I use CS3 right now to process my digital stills. What software is out there that is capable of editing color, saturation and contrast?" Is it still images you want to work with or video? Can I assume you mean Photoshop CS3 when you say CS3 or is it the entire Creative Suite? If it is, then you will have Adobe Premiere CS3 and this is very good at editing video and capable of editing color, saturation and contrast. If you want to go a lot deeper then there is After Effects, again if you have the full Creative Suite, After Effects CS3 will be included with it. Sony Vegas Platinum 9 and the more expensive Sony Vegas Professional 9 do the same thing. You can download 30 day trials of this software to try it out.

Hi,

I do use PS CS3 for stills and am looking for something to edit color in the same way as I am able to do it with that program. That is the only part of it I have, though.

I downloaded the trial version of Sony Vegas Platinum 9 because I saw somewhere that you could edit shadow, midtones and highlights with a curve. Using a curve and/or histogram are easy to do and as I am used to working with those tools I was hoping for something similar.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Eleanor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    I downloaded the trial version of Sony Vegas Platinum 9 because I saw somewhere that you could edit shadow, midtones and highlights with a curve. Using a curve and/or histogram are easy to do and as I am used to working with those tools I was hoping for something similar.
    One of the things you don't get with Vegas Movie Studio, which you do get with Pro is a selection of "videoscopes" which includes histograms.

If you're used to working that way, you might like to give that a try (though I appreciate it's considerably more expensive).
    Tim

If you have premiere pro then use that as it has curves buit in. i'd recomend downloading the trial if you haven't.

see if you like premiere or vegas's interface better. i prefer premiere, i've always though vegas was a bit, i dunno, it's like a cat been sick, but thats my opinion.