Thread: Newbie needs help!

Blog Entries

Default Newbie needs help!

Okay, well we all run into problems now and again, don't we? My problem is that for some reason Windows Media Encoder has decided to encode my videos devoid of all colour. They're "almost" black and white with a tinge of purple and green in the top left.

I've uninstalled all codecs, reinstalled Media Encoder, reinstalled the the Windows MPEG4 codecs yada yada. Strange thing is, encoding to WMV inside Premiere is fine. I can do without WME (it sucks anyway), but I'm just annoyed I can't fix it?

Can anyone help?

Default Just a thought

Hey, this isn't something to do with the codec wanting YUV2 and getting RGB or something similar? Sounds like the codec is only seeing luminance data and not chrominance, or otherwise misinterpreting it?

In fact it's more likely to be the other way round... hit submit too quick there.

So maybe it's getting YUV2 and wanting RGB. Maybe I'm wrong here because perhaps the wrong one would just make it crash or spit out an error...

Blog Entries

It does on occasions spew out an error. But just as randomly spew out perfectly good (well goo for WMV) video. One thing that I do remember is that I'd get the same result occasionally if I'd set the frame size out of whack (I was trying to encode letter box video, cropping out the black lines and changing the frame size and aspect ratio). I figured the codec didn't like the combination. Now it doesn't like anything! Think I might try on a clean install of XP I have on one partition. New there was a reason I installed it

I kind of figure that the encoder doesn't like changing aspect ratio between source and destination because the docs I just read (fascinating read) on the Windows Media sites suggest you should keep pixel aspects the same when cropping/resizing, or use some "unsquare pixels" type setting...

You could also maybe try using Avisynth up front and then encoding the stream that Avisynth sends to the encoder, it's a good tool for this sort of thing, I've found it to be excellent for resizing and cropping. The interface isn't very friendly (text files, but tools can automate that) but quality is superb, and the filter options are amazing.

Then again, maybe WMV won't accept Avisynth files... my personal philosophy is to stick with open formats like XviD but I'm a bit of a liberal, Linux, open source type of guy.