Thread: Help with isolating voice?

1. Unhappy Help with isolating voice?

I am trying to isolate only the voices in a movie trailer so I have just the voices and no background music and am having a hard time. The program I am using is Audacity. I have searched the question using google, and I have read what has been suggested, but I don't know HOW to do what is suggested. Suggestions: using VoiceTrap, Noise Removal, and High/Low Pass Filters. But what do I do once I activate each one? I'm so confused, I just can't figure it out. I've tried and the best I have gotten is a muffled voice with high pitch noise in it. Can anyone help, or suggest a better free audio editor? Thanks in advance.
    Becca

What you're asking is very difficult and takes a lot of knowhow. I don't think there is an easy answer for this problem.

Sorry

Blog Entries

What you're asking to do is almost impossible to achieve with a useable result. Sorry. The more you remove the music, the more info you remove from the vocals and it ends up sounding awful.

The only way I can think of doing it would be to remove the vocals as much as you can with filters and software, then invert (Audacity uses the term "invert waveform" I think) the remaining music and add it to the unaltered original. The "inverted" music would cancel out the original music leaving the spoken word.

If this doesn't make sense to you, it may be a step too far until you've played around a bit more working with sound.

That's the theory, in practice it still sounds bloody awful and I've never manged to achieve it with any measure of sucess.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post

That's the theory, in practice it still sounds bloody awful and I've never manged to achieve it with any measure of sucess.
    This is, of course, because you're not the geeky teenager in a hi-tech undercover police drama series on TV, who can manage to isolate and amplify any sound from any mix of sounds within two minutes armed with nothing but a mid range laptop and some software that produces some very serious looking graphics.
    Tim

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    This is, of course, because you're not the geeky teenager in a hi-tech undercover police drama series on TV, who can manage to isolate and amplify any sound from any mix of sounds within two minutes armed with nothing but a mid range laptop and some software that produces some very serious looking graphics.
    hahahaha! they do make it look easy, don't they???

So in other words, all of you are telling me it's pretty much impossible, huh?
    Figures. Thanks for your help, anyway. I do appreciate the responses.