Thread: Vegas 9 Rendering/Compression Advice

Default Vegas 9 Rendering/Compression Advice

I usually work with short .avi videos. I've just completed editing a vacation video that was shot with a new AVCHD camera and is just under 60 minutes long.
    Most of the footage was shot in HD 1920 x 1080. I'm wondering:
    1. To preserve the quality of the footage and still fit on a DVD should I render in .mpg or .aa3, .oma?
    2. Will I need to do any special compression to get it to fit on a DVD? I'll be using DVD Architect Studio 4.5 and Vegas 9 Platinum.
    Thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by drew365 View Post
    To preserve the quality of the footage and still fit on a DVD should I render in .mpg or .aa3, .oma?
    I don't know what .aa3 is nor .oma? Within Vegas Pro9 I Use :

A] For Video: MPEG2 - DVDA Video Stream from Vegas

. . and . .

B] For Audio: AC3

Quality is determined by the BitRate you select.The higher the BitRate the more "detail" you preserve. However the more BitRate you elect for using the LARGER the file size. So, you/I/we want to select the BitRate that is good for the video but still allows us to fit the rendered file on the DVD platter. So, We can elect for CONSTANT BIT RATE=CBR which forces ALL the VIDEO into a given bitrate OR elect to use Variable Bit Rate = VBR and by setting the limits on the HIGHEST and the LOWEST parameters use this VBR. So, we have a trade off that between final size - this for DVD platters 4.7gb - and actual quality. However, the parameters within the Vegas/DVDA are great for getting to the BEST for LEAST!

Quote Originally Posted by drew365 View Post
    2. Will I need to do any special compression to get it to fit on a DVD? I'll be using DVD Architect Studio 4.5 and Vegas 9 Platinum.
    A Special compression? Well yes, I have this available to me within Vegas Pro9. I am not sure whether you have this available to you in VPlat9? All that I mentioned in the first part of my reply is available in Vegas Pro9? Dunno about your s/w?

As a rule of thumb I try to keep my overall bitrate below 8mbps. On "nosier" stretches of my videos anything on 8mbps starts to choke my SONY DVD settop box! I had this recently and entered a max at 7.5 mbps and that cured it.

Rendering to DVD can be a dark art. Balancing video "noise" against quality against the 4.7gb platter size can be challenging. There are/has been some great recipes here and on the net, go look and experiment with DVDRWs first - I do! But, as an overall thought you SHOULD be able to fit something like 130 minutes onto a DVD and not compromise the quality too much at all. The thing here is does YOUR s/w allow for utilising these VBRs and so on? Or maybe it works it out for you? Dunno . ..

Thanks, I've printed your response and will refer to it as I go through the rendering. FYI: .aa3 and .oma are Sony file types that are available for rendering in Vegas 9 Platinum. I wasn't sure if they were of any value to my project.

DomDom Guest

There is also a possibility of using DL disc with 8.5 GB capacity. Works perfect, no quality compromises

Yeah, I know about the dual layer disks, that's what I used on my last vacation video when I couldn't get it to fit a standard dvd. I wanted to get a little smarter this time and be the master of my pixels, or something like that.