Thread: Project Bio Trailer: James

Smile Project Bio Trailer: James

Hi everyone.
    I haven't posted for a while. I just got into uni and I've only started to settle down before it all gets mad again. Here's a trailer for a film that I've worked on for ages. I would love to hear what you guys think, whatever the opinions.
    Thanks.

2. Default

i don't want to go into to much detail.

just wanted to say that it's a real cracker of an advert. you should be really proud of yourself.

will this short film be released online?

have just checked out your other videos and now i'm subscribed to you. keep up the good stuff..
    Last edited by harrysfunzoneboy; 09-30-2009 at 11:01 AM.

Don't worry about too much detail. If there's lots to say, say it.
    Thanks for the comment. I'm still considering how to release the final film, and actually how to finish it, as I need more funding before I can finish production.

Thanks again.

Any more opinions?

Blog Entries

Hi Rob,
    Welcome back! When I saw the title I assumed this was someone reviving an old thread - we'd seena trailer for Project Bio before, right?

Anyway - much impressed. The mixing of the different scenes was very professional (you'd clearly gone to as much trouble shooting the "TV report" as the rest of the trailer). Photography wise it's way beyond my level of competence so I won't comment on that other than to say it looked just right to me.

As it was so good, I'm going to be particularly harsh.

The audio was excellent music and sfx exactly what was required.

I didn't go much on the voice though. I realise the character is an eighteen year old so it needed to sound like an eighteen year old, but it sounded like someone reading it as if it was written by a third party (eg reading someone's diary) , rather than someone who's actually lived (or is living through) the hell. It was had a bit too much "presence" and stood too far apart from the rest of the mix for me (again seeming like a third party rather than someone who was involved).

Of course it may turn out that this IS someone reading from someone elses diary, in which case it was bang on!

There were a couple of lines of script which didn't work for me...

"Please, if there is anyone out there, you can't help us" This doesn't make sense. What are you pleasding for?

"..and I, along with may sister, are the only healthy, sane members left in the UK." Members of what? The population? The Conservative party? Sheffield Women's Institute Historic Re-enactment Society?

I suspect that these lines have come about by accident, having re-written and re-written draft after draft. It's easy to get so involved in the detail that you miss the whole of the sentence.

The reverse film sequence went on far too long. I'm sure this is important and will all be revealed in the main feature, but for the trailer, all we need are a few bits of this to give an idea that there's some sort of flashback mystery/revelation/significance within the film.
    Tim

Ok so its a trailer for a film. The big test is would I want to watch it? Hell yes I would!!! Totally agree with Tim on his comment about the line ..... is there anyone out there ..... you can't help us ???? I was expecting a plea for help, if they cant be helped whats the point of the appeal?

The voice didnt work for me at the start but then it grew on me and sounded great by the time it got to the appeal. The time reversal did go on too long and I wonder if it would have been better if the speech was normal i.e. not in reverse.

Some of the black screen sections were just a tad too long but maybe ok as the voice fills them.

Get the film finished mate, I would love to see the rest.

Thanks so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

The voice and reverse sequence seem to be the two main issues cropping up.
    I totally agree with the comments made on the voice. As much as I would like to say that this fits the character almost 100%, I can see how from an outside point of view this may not make much sense. What he says could probably have been worded better, and a lot of people don't like the monotone sound to it. James is a very complex character, and I don't think this trailer can be fully understood until he is shown from another perspective. I wanted there to be something that would make the audience see in a different light later if they were to return to the trailer, and that was it. It seems it may have been a bit too much though, so I'll definitely be keeping this in mind for the future.

The reverse part I agree with too; there's too much of it. I think I got a little carried away there. One thing I'll be taking from this would to not get carried away.

Thanks again.