Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Find the Ball

Default Find the Ball

Kids do what kids do. Luckily I was there with my camera at the time. I hope you engoy it.

2. Default

nice entry.

i'm really digging the music, the grainy effect and not to forget the little kid looking for her football..

Blog Entries

I can certainly relate to that. Watching kids learn the things we take for granted is truly fascinating. Nice little film.

I thought the music was choice, but to be honest I didn't see any point using an "old film" filter - to me it distracted from ratehr than added to the movie.

EDIT: I nearly forgot, did you intend to post it as part of the 3:33 competition? If so I totally missed the significance or the link to 3:33
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I can certainly relate to that. Watching kids learn the things we take for granted is truly fascinating. Nice little film.

I thought the music was choice, but to be honest I didn't see any point using an "old film" filter - to me it distracted from ratehr than added to the movie.

EDIT: I nearly forgot, did you intend to post it as part of the 3:33 competition? If so I totally missed the significance or the link to 3:33
    When I was looking back at the footage in post, I just got silent comedy, thats why I chose the Keystone cops and Charley Chaplin music and put on the old film filter.

Sorry didn't read the rules properly. The thought of winning a goody bag made my head spin. I thought it just had to be less that 3:33 mins long.

Blog Entries

Unlike Tim I liked the use of the "old film" effect but it's just personal taste. Normally I believe that less is more and hate this effect above all others but, exceptionally, I feel it added something in this case.

Well, it fits the "rules" of the comp in that it's less than 3.33 long, I don't know how many points it will lose not fitting with the 3.33 theme though.

Good luck anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    Well, it fits the "rules" of the comp in that it's less than 3.33 long, I don't know how many points it will lose not fitting with the 3.33 theme though.

Good luck anyway.
    Thank you.

I could say the child was 3 years, three months and 3 weeks old Which is not too far off from the truth.

Blog Entries

Just to expand on my comment about the"old film" filter.

Indeed it is a matter of taste. I'm not anti "per se" - indeed I've used it myself in trying to create a pseudo early 60's travelogue.

I just thought the music made the reference adequately and by losing the colour we lost something.

If you really want to create "Charlie Chaplin", "Keystone Cops" type feel try speeding up the footage a fraction as well as using the filter.
    Tim

Yes may be speeding up slightly would had added to the "silent movie effect I was looking for, thats a good tip.

Blog Entries

And if you want to get really clever, undersampling (ie 20 frames per sec rather than 25/30 ) should make it even ore authentic - not that I've tried that.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    And if you want to get really clever, undersampling (ie 20 frames per sec rather than 25/30 ) should make it even ore authentic - not that I've tried that.
    This is exactly why I joined this forum, To get this kind of advice from more experienced viewgraphes.

Thanks Tim.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast