Thread: Help the handicapped!

Default Help the handicapped!

Hola gurus,

I want to transfer about 30 hours of home video to DVD, and edit it in the process. Nothing too fancy, add a few titles, clip out some extraneous video and tighten it up, then burn it to DVD for a Christmas gift.

I bought a Dazzle DVD Recorder on Amazon ($34.95 - woohoo!), and have an old Sharp Viewcam 8mm analog video camcorder as well as a nice little stack of 8mm videotapes from when the kids were small. The Dazzle only came with the Pinnacle Instant DVD Recorder software - so I don't have the Pinnacle Studio.

I would imagine I have to copy the videotapes through the Dazzle to the hard disk of my PC. This I have tried with one tape using Instant DVD Recorder. However, I only get the VIDEO_TS folder and don't really know where to go from there.

What low co$t solution is there (I love free!)? I've taken a quick look at just bringing the video into Windows Movie Maker directly (which appears to work), but don't know what settings to use or how I am going to get this stuff back to DVD when I'm done editing it - so I don't want to travel too far down that road if it is a dead end.

Any and all help appreciated!

TIA
    Peter

Peter

Well if I were you I would buy a copy of Premier Elements 7 and use that. Make sure your PC meets the requirements of the software. You can download a trial version from the internet so you can try it first. I recommend that software only because

1, I am familiar with and feel its pretty simple to operate.
    2. It will also produce the final DVD for you complete with chapters and a nice menu.
    3. Lots of forums can offer help if you get stuck because its a well used piece of software
    4. Its powerful if you get a taste for going a little further

There are several packages that are free including windows movie maker. I have not used the latter for quite some time but the last time I looked it could not burn a dvd. That means you would need additional software to do this. I would not go the freeby route as you may find that it requires a fair bit of technical knowledge to make things work. getting help may also be more difficult.

Best of luck with your project. Remember, just because you have 30hrs of footage does not mean the end result needs to fill a DVD. Be ruthless with your editing.

Shrimpfarmer,

You are correct; I can't find a way to make a DVD with Windows MovieMaker. I thought DVDs were movies - go figure.

I took a quick peek at Elements. It looks like it will do what I need, but I'm not fond of Adobe. Very 'heavy' software, in my experience. I did try AVS Video Editor and it looks acceptable, but I'm still after a lower price point!

TIA

I know what you mean about Adobe. I absolutely hate the PDF reader and never have it on my system, however I was very surprised at the quality of the video editor and photoshop elements. It depends on whether you intend to film and edit anything else in the future? If not and its just the edit of the home movies then your quite right to find a cheaper solution. But, if you are going to do more than that then its worth investing in something good rather than spending on a cheaper solution only to ditch it later.

Can I suggest you check out the links here. Most of this stuff is free and has been well reviewed by people. Maybe you will be able to get what you need from them. You will see there are also options to burn a DVD.

Cheers

I know what you mean about Adobe. I absolutely hate the PDF reader and never have it on my system, however I was very surprised at the quality of the video editor and photoshop elements. It depends on whether you intend to film and edit anything else in the future? If not and its just the edit of the home movies then your quite right to find a cheaper solution. But, if you are going to do more than that then its worth investing in something good rather than spending on a cheaper solution only to ditch it later.

Can I suggest you check out the links here. The Best Free Multimedia Software for PC Most of this stuff is free and has been well reviewed by people. Maybe you will be able to get what you need from them. You will see there are also options to burn a DVD.

Cheers