Thread: Using the Color Corrector (Secondary)

Default Using the Color Corrector (Secondary)

I was reading a few tutorials on other sites recently about giving your own productions that 'movie look' and decided to try out some of the effects in Sony Vegas 9. I wasn't looking for a specific look but just to warm up some video I shot recently that had a noticeable blue or cold look about it. The one I tried was Color Corrector (Secondary) and just altered a few settings.

Preset: Studio RGB to Computer RGB to get rid of the inherint grey layer and make the blacks much stronger.

I set the Angle to 135.0 and the Magnitude to 0.272

Gamma was set to 0.948

Gain was set to 1.164

Offset was set to -12.0

Those setting may not work on your video but if you are looking for a starting point to give your clips a 'look' rather than just using the settings the camcorder chose, then try them out. All other settings were left as default.

Hmmm... I've got a real problem with selecting a Colour Corrector that has been designed for correcting "A" specific area of colour, but to use it to correct a "tint" appearing over the whole video? That doesn't sit well with me . ..

In reading the Help file for this great FX, it shows and goes to some length what it is being used for.

Rather, to improve my cold/grey/bluish looking video my approach would be to test using the Colour Curves "Warm" curves just to see what could be and used in conjunction with my Scopes. Kill it. And then apply the Colour Corrector ( NOT the secondary CC) and adjust back to remove the blue hue through the 3-colour wheels. Once I had got the most neutral, and IF that wasn't WARM enough, then I'd apply a colour curve.

I would NOT use CC-2nd and would NOT apply the Studio RGB to Computer RGB to get rid of the inherent grey layer. I WOULD use the Stud-RGB>Comp-RGB if I wanted to select and revert a small selection of colours.

But that's me . . .

I'm with Grazie on this but I think I'd also want to play around with Levels as well as this can be so versatile and, if you wish, subtle in improving an image.

Richard

I admit there are more versatile controls on Sony Vegas and I'm sure everyone has there own particular favourite way of working. I found using the footage I had shot that using the Studio RGB to Computer RGB did the job for me, maybe the other controls work better on other clips to reduce grey levels. I'll take both your points on board while using Sony Vegas to fix video from now on, thanks.