Thread: Advice on improvement always welcome

Default Advice on improvement always welcome

Short film following a trip to a speed trial event. I am trying to capture what its like to be there rather than show the performance of the vehicles.

Some good shots in there, certainly plenty of visual variety and a good record of the days event. The title sequence is too quick at the start it's like whoosh and it's gone. You should treat a title sequence like a mini movie on its own and let it run for 15 seconds with a fade in from black to the title, either still or animated and then a fade to black again or straight to the opening scene. Rather than using a computer generated title that can look gaudy, events such as this usually have a poster or large sign up somewhere near that provides a title for you already, I would prefer to use that instead.

Some good vantage points and some great looking cars, I spotted a few Paris Hilton wannabes in there aswell but a few shots of tyres screeching taking off and maybe a few shots of the insides of the cars would have drawn me in more to it. I liked it overall.

Many thanks for your comments. Yep that intro does look very poor, point noted. Cheers

Blog Entries

Whilst I agree with the fact the title looks poor and is on screen for too short a period, I do not think for that for a short a title - especially when it's simply a date & location title - should be treated as a mini movie. And certainly shouldn't last 15 seconds. (As it happens I've been giving this a lot of thought & discussion recently as a fellow film maker and I are running an evening specifically on titles at our club)
    However it does need to be legible, it does need to anticipate the style of the film and it does need to be on screen long enough to read!

The film itself: A mix of some good shots, some OK shots and one or two shots which wre slightly dodgy and if you want to make a good film (as opposed to an OK one) really should have been edited out.
    The bits that really worked for me were the people shots - I can see you've used the cars mainly as scenery and I think you're absolutely right to do that. It's the people and their activities that are interesting. If I was to suggest anything it would be more, many more close ups especially of faces, but not just of faces. (This is not easy - I say this to myself all the time and look at my footage and STILL never have enough close ups).

Overall I thought this was a good memory of your day there.
    Tim

Thanks Tim

Good tips and much appreciated.

My comment about the title sequence running for 15 seconds is a general comment, it will vary from one production to another but it should have a build up to it and set the viewer up for the rest of the movie. Only the person making the movie can decide on how long the title sequence should be.

It should be onscreen long enough to read but it should also have some time and effort put into it and if you do a black screen first (4 seconds), title (6 seconds, remember not everyone can read fast) and then another black screen of 4 seconds and take into account the fade in's and out's (1 to 1.5 seconds for a slow transition), a 15 second title sequence is not that long.

And that's not to mention a credit sequence at the end.

Yep I can go along with that. I hate that dam title with a passion now But hey ho, onwards and upwards as they say

I hope it is ok for a new member to pass comments on videos. I like the piece over all but one point I have is if it is called Brighton Speed trials it should be about the speed trials. Don't get me wrong I liked the people and scenery shots but a title should communicate the content of the movie and for me there was not enough of the cars. I presume you could not get closer to the action which would have made the movie better for me to see some close ups of the cars.

One last thing, my personal preference is I didn't think the music was right for the piece. You do know the song is about heroin ?

Like you said in your post you are trying to capture what its like to be there rather than show the performance of the vehicles. I think you did that well.

PS I liked your sunset video posted earlier.

I now feel obliged to post a video of my own to be pulled apart. gulp !
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 09-27-2009 at 09:35 PM.

Hi MidnightBlue

Your dam right its ok for a new member to post comments. Many thanks for the feedback. Interesting point about the title. Choosing a title is tricky, some can be an absolute turn off and stop people from watching. The title I chose I think risked alienating some viewers who have no interest in cars. I can understand though if people were to view and be disappointed because I fail to cover the cars in depth. I like to film airshows and I always like to use music however I know that many purists only want to hear the jets. I dont yet understand the theory behind naming a video, if there even is one?

I could have got closer to the cars and I wish I had taken that opportunity.

As for the music I confess I had absolutely no idea the song was about heroin which opens me up to be a bit of a laughing stock I guess but that's ok. No, I just picked it because I liked the pace of it and felt it matched well. Mind, you have just taught me something there, lets face it to check what the song was actually about would have only taken a few seconds on the web. I will try and do that in future.

Lastly, yes go on take the plunge and upload some of yours. I want to see them and you know you want to show em The only bummer for me is that I am currently out in the sticks on a crummy 2g line so I wont be able to comment. rest assured I will if and when I pick up a 3g signal.

Cheers