Thread: Hi Res Image

1. Default Hi Res Image

Areet folks!

Is there anyway to get a hi res image from some footage in Vegas? i know you can grab a screenshot but its 72dpi! which is.......crap!

We forgot to take some stills on the shoot and need one for the competition we are entering. My camera (Sony DCR-TRV50E) can capture stills but i don't know if it can capture them from the tape?

Any ideas would be most appreciated!

I just tried that out in Sony Vegas and opened it in a well known image editor and yes it does only have a dpi of 72. On the positive side a 1920 by 1080 images is showing as being 26.66 inches by 15 inches, so quite a big image when printed out. Unfortunately you cannot add detail to an image that isn't there in the first place which is what the dpi refers to.

Blog Entries

dpi is pretty irrelevant. You can increase the dpi easily in any photo editing software, it'll just reduce the size of the image.
    It's nothing to do with Vegas, it's to do with the number of pixels in the original image (which, even in HD, is very low compared with a stills camera)
    Tim

4. Default

Thanks guys, but i work as a Product Designer to pay the bills so i understand dpi and its very relevant for print. 72dpi is not high enough for printing large format posters. True you can re-size an image in Photoshop, Illustrator or whatever, but as you know, it sacrifices quality. I need the images for marketing, we should have taken photos on set!!...you live and learn

Blog Entries

What I mean is that dpi is irrelavent as far as exporting goes. You are simply exporting an image which is x pixels by y pixels. I didn't say resize (ie by adding pixels) , I said change the dpi, which will obviously sharpen the image but make it smaller.

Anyway, let's not split hairs: images from video cameras do not really have enough dots to make decent quality large format prints.
    Tim