Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotating video frames from Portrait to Landscape

1. Default Rotating video frames from Portrait to Landscape

Hello,
    I am an amateur home video photographer and I was asked to record a wedding of a good friend this weekend. So, i did. Now I have a problem. During the lighting of the unity candles and during the blessing of the rings, I turned the camera on its side, on the tripod, as to be able to zoom in on just the bride and grooms whole body. I thought that by doing this, the recording would still show up in a landscape form. Only when I got back home and watched the video did I realize that it was not like my iphone, with an accelerometer, and that the video footage would actually be in a portrait frame with the video showing sideways. SO, after enquiring about this in the 'wedding footage' forum, and finding someone with Sony Vegas Pro 9, my questions is this,

Would someone be willing to provide me with some detailed instructions on how I can use this program to flip each one of the frames that needs flipped back to landscape? I have no experience with this program and my uncle, though he has a personal studio in his house, more along the lines of photography rather than videography, he has very little experience with this program either. I am going to need to know how to locate the exact frames and then, once I've located them, what I need to do to rotate these 90 degrees.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

OK, here we go!!
    Drop the video onto the timeline and then go thru the entire video very carefully and when you get to a "portrait" portion hit the "S" key and the video will be split at that point..continue until the footage returns to normal and hit the "S" key again to split the video. Do the entire footage and you should be left with the complete footage with "cuts" at in and out points isolating the "portrait" bits.

Now, insert a new video track into the timeline and it will appear above the existing one and you can then drag ONLY the affected portions of the footage onto the top track.
    Now go to the header for the new track on the left and click on the Track Motion icon and on the properties on the left of the track motion window you can then rotate the image 90 degrees. This action will affect ALL the clips you have dragged onto the top track and correct their orientation.

Hopefully you have shot in "portrait mode" all the same way but if you haven't you will have to create another new timeline track and put all the clips that need to be rotated left on the first track and the ones needing right rotation on another.

That should do the trick!!! I'll leave the tidying up to you as you might need to shift a few clips around if their position moved slightly when you dragged them!

Let us know how you get on?????

Chris

Blog Entries

What Chris said....
    OR after splitting it into different events (clips) using the S key as above, you could rotate each event individually.
    Click on the little square icon at the far right of the clip (or right click the clip and select "Apply Event FX" - NOT "Apply Media FX"), then type 90 or 270 in the "rotation" box.
    I'd prefer this method because:
    a) you can keep all your clips on one timeline which will make any transitions easier
    b) you can pan/resize your clip independently of the other clips (you can with the other method as well, but I get confused if one method of movement - rotation - is being done in a different place to the others)
    c) (I think) If you crop/rotate in the event pan/crop window the image is resampled giving a recalculated 720x576(PAL) image whereas using track motion it's not.
    Tim

Hi Tim

Even better!!!! I haven't actually tried this as I have never tried to shoot with my big cams 90 degrees off vertical.
    Your option sounds a bit more sensible as you don't have to move the clip up to a new track.
    I guess this all depends on how many clips in "portrait" will be created as to how much work is involved..hopefully not too much!!

I was hoping that you would offer your expertise as well!!!!

Chris

Blog Entries

Just wait until Grazie chips in - no doubt with some real left field thinking.

There is another option - but that will rotate the whole media so it very much depends whether the portrait orientated shots are separate clips.

Right click the event and go to Properties. On the media tab, there's a "Rotation" value which can be set to 90deg left or right or 180deg.
    Tim

6. Default

Thank You both very much

Now just one more question. Is there any way to do this and be frame specific/1 individual frame. The only problem with rotating an entire clip of frames is that I was recording while I rotated the camera so there are several frames that will not need to be rotated as many degrees and others. So those frames I will have to rotate individually. How do I break down the video into individual frames. I know there is going to be thousands of frames but I am going to have to do it.

Blog Entries

Just keep using the "S" key -you can split right down to individual frames. You'll need to zoom in on the timeline to do this (I use the mouse wheel, but there are +/- buttons you can use as well as keyboard shortcuts.
    Tim

8. Default

Well,
    I have gotten most of this figured out, now I have another problem. When I change the frames and go to play the video, all the frames that I rotated play in a VERY choppy sequence. It takes out the smooth flow of the frames, like the frame rate drops tramendously. What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

Anyone care to do this task for me for a little reward???

What has happened is that the frames have been cropped/zoomed in the rotate sequence so you have also resized interlacing lines!!

In your Vegas Project Properties, set de-interlace to "Interpolate" and Vegas will de-interlace the footage before you resize. However you might have to start again so the editor can de-interlace the raw material!!

Chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coyotehawk View Post
    now I have another problem. When I change the frames and go to play the video, all the frames that I rotated play in a VERY choppy sequence. It takes out the smooth flow of the frames, like the frame rate drops tramendously.
    What Chris said may well be true, but I'd add to that that you are now applying a different amount of crop and a different amount of rotation to each frame. You're giving Vegas a heck of amount of work to do and I'm not surprised it struggles.

Render out the sequence to a new file or new track or "selectively prerender video" or "build RAM preview" - all basically variants on a theme and see what that looks like. I suspect your problem is only in real time preview.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast