Thread: Sony DCR 109E hard disk capture ?? / quality issues

Default Sony DCR 109E hard disk capture ?? / quality issues

Got this Sony recently as recommended by which magazine. However downloading tape video to pc was rubbish. Tried to use the "picture package" software provided and after many false starts finally got the burn to VCD to work which took ages and resulted in two segments? Of really crap quality. Ok I used the USB cable as no firewire cable is supplied but still it was rubbish and there seems no easy way to simply get the video onto the hard disc to do something with it.

I have ordered Pinical 9 plus software and a 4 to 6 pin firewire cable but have no firewire connection on the pc - I thought about a belkin firewire card from Amazon.co etc.???
    Any other ideas or experience of this camcorder and downloads??
    Disappointed with Sony at this point
    :(
    Confused but getting there (I think)

Output to VCD will be crap quality because VCD is MPEG1 (which is horrible)

When you captured to the PC what was the captured footage like? Try exporting as MPEG2 and see what the quality is like.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Default Capture

The supplied software does not appear to allow you to simply capture but only to capture then automatically convert as part of the burn straight to VCD option.
    You can i think create some horrible video with music and stuff overlaid onto it (that crashed 80% through process).
    The image on the tiny window whilst setting up the USB steaming looked ok (set to best quality) - no options for MEGPEG.
    Maybe Pinical 9+ and firewire will be an answer.

I think the problem is almost certainly the software you are using. Not camcorder, and not the USB interface (let's not go into that one). Let me know how you get on with Studio. Btw, you can download a trial copy if you want to test it out first.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Sony bundle Pixela Imaging suite with all their software. Whilst it is ok(ish) for VCD and WebMail, it is exceptionally poor for anything else. Try Pinnacle as you suggest or try ULeads' Video Studio 8 (Free trial available from www.ulead.com). I would suggest firwire as a pre-requisite for whatever you choose.

Good luck
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Default Thanks

I am having a firewire card fitted on 24th at local dealer and Pinical 9+ and cable should be available from (50 inc post) Amazon also - will see the improved results I hope.

I have to say in some ways wish I had found this forum earlier before buying new pc and new camcorder to do home editing.
    I have a 16 year old Panasonic VHS with insert edit audio dubb jog/shuttle and a SVHSC JVC camcorder and get far easier and better results with those than the PC route.

Default got a firewire will travel....

got a firewire card fitted and a free cable for 15 quid on 24th - download/capture to Pinnacle from Sony quite easy and effective at good quality -Great.
    next put together the shots you want, the programme breaks it up into segments, i did not do any editing other than changed the order slightly and added some transitions and title page. dissapointed how few titles are provided with the plus version --- please pay 9.99 for more..... no thanks.
    then burn to DVD.
    tried a 17min vid first - said it had burnt to dvd twice but nothing had appeared on the disc +R .. so tried a -RW and it worked! would not work on the computer powerdvd though but did on the tv systems around the house. How long does all this take - hours!!!
    next tried a 76min vid - dropped 66 frames on capture? then only burned 30 and then 34mins onto two -RW discs and it would not let me rewrite to a -RW disc???? so i tried to burn the second half to the +R (that did not work before) and it worked this time. go figure that one??
    maybe better to burn a dvd image to hard disc and then transfer over to a real dvd when all has been produced successfully ??
    this really does take hours and stacks of hd space, why did i simply not buy a dvd recorder for 150 notes i wonder??