Thread: converting portrait frames to landscape frames in the same recording

1. Default converting portrait frames to landscape frames in the same recording

Hello all,
    I am new to these forums, and new to home video recording. I recently purchased a JVC Everio and was asked to record a wedding of a close friend. I have not had much experience with video taping but noticed that when I turned the camcorder on its side while taping, i assumed it kept recording upright but just moved from the landscape, wide frame to the portrait, tall frame. SO, during the blessing of the rings and lighting of the unity candle, I turned the camera to its side as to focus souly on the Bride and Groom, expecting that it would still play upright. Much to my disappointment, when I got home today and reviewed the video, when I turned the camera on its side, it turned the video on its side. So now if I make any DVD's, the parts of the video during the blessing and the unity candle, we will have to turn your head at an angle to view it. My question is, is there any way at all that I can convert these frames so that they will play upright on the video so that we do not have to 'cock' our heads to view the video. Hopefully your experience and expertise will help me with my problem.

Thank You.

Hi

Someone brought me an analogue tape many years ago with the problem so I told him to turn his TV on it's side!!!

Seriously with digital video you can, in fact rotate the image 90 degrees in any decent editor. Not exactly the right thing to do but in your circumstances you have little choice. You will have to edit the clips first to isolate the rotated video (the portrait mode ones) and then rotate just those ones!!

Just make sure that your editor does have a rotate ability. I only use Sony Vegas (which does!!)

Let us know how you get on and hopefully you have no realised that video cameras only shoot in landscape!!!

Chris

3. Default

haha. Well, if there was one thing that I learned from this is that, Yes, I realized video recording on happens in landscape.

So obviously you recommend sony vegas. Is that freeware or do I have to purchase that program. Is there a thread on these boards with instructions on how to do this?

Hi

I would personally wait and see who else responds as there might be a cheaper package or free one out there for you. Vegas Pro is expensive!!!

Maybe post an equiry in the Vegas forum and see if Vegas Movie Studio does image rotation??? If it does then it's way less expensive!!

Find an editor first and then plenty of people will assist you!!

Chris

Movie studio does, it has the pan& scan option but no key frames.

Get a pro....

6. Default

Well, after contacting my uncle, he told me he does have vegas 9. Said he does not know much about it though. He has a small, personal studio in his house but is more for photography. I posted in the Vegas forum asking for help on this matter, instructions if you will, on how to fix this. If there is little parts of the audio that I would like to edit out, will vegas do that as well? throughout the whole ceremony, my tripod was squeeking and it is quite loud on the video. i would like to tame that down a little bit. Hopefully, someone will be able to help me with that. too.

Hi

Yep!! It will do audio editing as well. If you are patient enough you might even be able to quieten down the squeak but it will never be 100%!!

See which stereo track the noise is most predominent on and then just duplicate the tracks and convert one to right and one to left and it will be easier to isolate noises!!!

Chris