Thread: Light Effect Question, example included.

Default Light Effect Question, example included.

Hey guys, I have been using Vegas 9 to edit my videos for a while now but I am still very inexperienced and have so much more to learn.

I really want to learn how to do this red light, gradient type flash I have seen in several videos. Its hard to describe so i will let my example do the talking.

[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/5859589]Mutiny Bikes "Let's Get Mystical" Trailer! on Vimeo[/ame] - These flashes are at 00:17 and a slight one at 00:38

Below is the same effect but with letter and words in the intro.
    [ame=http://www.vimeo.com/5826267]Verde BMX Team Edit on Vimeo[/ame]

I tried to find a better example within bmx riding videos because that is what i make but I couldnt. I have seen this flash several times in various other videos, I just couldnt find any of them except for the one above.

I hope that video is example enough and that you guys can help me in finding out the best way to do this in Sony Vegas 9.

Thanks.

Nicely done!

OK, from looking and RE-looking at the seconds of transition from A to B, what I guess is trying to be achieved is that grungy-type overexposed-end-of-reel REAL film projector blow? Yes? This may NOT be what was in the mind of the creator - I wouldn't know, but here is my feeble attempt . . .

1] I pushed B into A to give me 1 second and applied the FLASH transition.

2] I inserted a Transition Envelop

3] I applied Points to the Curve and adjust the predominance of the transition to reds and yellows, adding HOLD keyframe adjusts to the colour ways.

4] I then pulled the Transition Curve points around to either prolong or shorten the resultant effect.

So: Flash Transition applied to Crossfade > Insert Transition Envelope > Adjust Colour Ways > Adjust sustained time of effect happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Nicely done!

OK, from looking and RE-looking at the seconds of transition from A to B, what I guess is trying to be achieved is that grungy-type overexposed-end-of-reel REAL film projector blow? Yes? This may NOT be what was in the mind of the creator - I wouldn't know, but here is my feeble attempt . . .

3] I applied Points to the Curve and adjust the predominance of the transition to reds and yellows, adding HOLD keyframe adjusts to the colour ways.

4] I then pulled the Transition Curve points around to either prolong or shorten the resultant effect.

So: Flash Transition applied to Crossfade > Insert Transition Envelope > Adjust Colour Ways > Adjust sustained time of effect happening.
    What is a transition envelop? Could you please guide me through steps 2-5?

From your directions, I only understand the first step, haha.

Thanks for your reply, its much appreciated.

My apologies, it was your comment that you had been working with VP9 for a while now. And yes you want to learn more, sure, so do I!

OK, I think you have the where-with-all to hack this yourself. AND you will learn more if you do it.

Get the VP9 Manual open - it's FREE - and look through the PDF for the pointers I took time to write down.

All those words I've used: Transition - Envelop - Points etc etc are in the User Manual. Do read the sections on Transition (Progress) Envelopes and adding points.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMe4Uxma7DQ]YouTube - RED BULL BMX FLOWCOMBO KOBLENZ[/ame]

Hey Grazie, thanks again for the reply.

I have another example so that you can see some more if you like and try to find a better way to do this. If not, its fine, and i thank you for all of your help!

WOW! Nice bit of filming. Those "flashes" are starting to look like additional bits of flash through clips? Nicely done . . like it.

And I thought a bike was for peddling down to shops?

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Nicely done!

Alright, I have tried to familiarize myself with transition envelops and sort of understand how to use them.

I know how to add points and adjust them and HOLD them but I dont know how and what you mean by 'adjusting the predominance of the transition to reds and yellows, adding HOLD keyframe adjusts to the colour ways'

Could you please explain step 3 further with another guide?

Thanks for the tip on the free vegas manual, its helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wts? View Post
    Alright, I have tried to familiarize myself with transition envelops and sort of understand how to use them.
    GOOD FOR YOU! Well done!

I know how to add points and adjust them and HOLD them . . .
    Excellent! This is a very useful addition to your understanding of Vegas. HOLD-ing sustains, over time, whatever control you asked for and has relevance to your NEXT enquiry . . .
    . . but I dont know how and what you mean by 'adjusting the predominance of the transition to reds and yellows, adding HOLD keyframe adjusts to the colour ways'
    Sure, OK, if you look, REALLY look at the samples you posted here, amongst the WHITE Flash are quick "sustained" flashes of RED and YELLOW. It was these I was referring to. So I was wanting to sustain the REDS or YELLOWS during the transitions. Within the FLASH Transition we have an option to select a "Tint" - and here that would be for some of the time RED and and another part of the time YELLOW. I can sustain the TINT by applying a HOLD to that Key Frame that that has RED and where the YELLOW "Tint" Keyframe is apply a HOLD there too. This sustaining creates a predominance OF that colour in time.

Remember that there are 2 sets of point adjusts going on:

Set 1: Transition Progress POINTS
    Set 2: FLASH Transition Keyframe POINTS

The process of using/adjusting both of these in real time previewing - have the tiny section looping on preview - allows for excellent trail and experimentation and gets close to the effect you posted. Applying HOLD makes for abrupt change but as you are realising the other options of SMOOTH, LINEAR and so on gives you MORE creative flexibility.

Thanks for the tip on the free vegas manual, its helpful.
    Well done! You can pick-up masses of tips there, as well as reinforcing what you learn from your own endeavours - well, I do!

Of course there is another way . . .

if it isnt too much trouble Grazie, could you take a screenshot of how the transition should look like completed? I have made my own version but it does not look that good.

i'd LOVE to know..how to get this done as welll...
    i've looking on youtube for hours..for a nice tutorial...couldn't find one

apparently it's pretty easy to get this flash effect on final cut (it's a plugin called flashframe)..