Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice! please help!

1. Default Need advice! please help!

Hi everyone,
    1. I'll be given opportunity to film a training course of about 35-40 people and then edit and put final peace on to dvd. They want two cameras. Question 1 is: what cameras, microphones and other hardware to use? This company will rent anything I ask. Question 2. How much to charge? they also want me to travel with them around the world, let's say 1-3 times in three month for about 3-5 days each travel. They will pay for everything.
    My experience: Mainly I do editing, using sony vegas pro 9, but never had a chance to use a pro or semi-professional cameras. So better if I start with easy to use hardware if possible..
    Please give some advice, will really appreciate!
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by editpro View Post
    Hi everyone,
    1. I'll be given opportunity to film a training course of about 35-40 people and then edit and put final peace on to dvd. They want two cameras. Question 1 is: what cameras, microphones and other hardware to use? This company will rent anything I ask. Question 2. How much to charge? they also want me to travel with them around the world, let's say 1-3 times in three month for about 3-5 days each travel. They will pay for everything.
    My experience: Mainly I do editing, using sony vegas pro 9, but never had a chance to use a pro or semi-professional cameras. So better if I start with easy to use hardware if possible..
    Please give some advice, will really appreciate!
    Ed
    If you have to ask these questions, then you are really not experienced or qualified to do this kind of work.

You should first observe or study the planned training course to understand the degree and full scope of the instructor and trainee interaction anticipated during the course. Then, once you understand the dynamics of the interactivity expected, you can intelligently plan for the "coverage" you will need and how to achieve it.

For example, if the instructor will be moving around the classroom and interacting directly with the trainees, you may want to use a wireless bush microphone for him/her. If that is the case you may also need to use a camera on a steady-cam mount so you can closely follow the action, and have another fixed camera for master shots. It all depends on what you will be shooting. Neither I, nor anyone else, can advise you on what cameras and mics to use unless you tell us the nature of the intended shoot. Do you understand what I am saying?

Blog Entries

In essence you're asking a question along the lines of "I've been asked to make a hit record, I've no idea about making music, what instruments should I use?"

My honest advice would be to seek out an experienced videographer and pay him/her to organise the technical and shooting side whilst you keep to the logistics and post-production side. That way you still earn out of it and the customer is happy. You will, of course, go along to the shoots to "supervise" (and make sure that the videographer doesn't try and cut you out of the chain.).

I agree completely!!

If you don't own cameras and have never used one then you will definately have a disaster on your hands!! Training, especially if it's interactive, is a one off event, much like a wedding and there is no way you can go back to them after an expenses paid trip and say "Sorry guys, I screwed it up, can we do it over???" Just the thought that you don't own any cameras should tell you that you are out of your depth!!

As already suggested, find a professional who will do the job for you on the condition that you get a slice of the action. If you really think this is the career for you then go along with them as the "gopher" and watch and learn.

Sorry to be rough on the responses but being told up-front is way better than being slapped with a hefty lawsuit cos you failed to deliver the goods!!

Chris

I think all of the above replies are completely wrong. What you should do is give the company my phone number.....

6. Default

Thanks for advice, but my questions still without answer. This is not something really big thing... Even if it won't be perfect- that will be ok.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by editpro View Post
    Thanks for advice, but my questions still without answer. This is not something really big thing... Even if it won't be perfect- that will be ok.
    That's as maybe and it may well be all your client expects. You may well be capable of doing an adequate job and there may even be no comeback if you fail to produce the goods.

BUT, you must understand you ask the question in the professionals section of the forum and professional advice is what you received.

Maybe if you rephrase the question and ask it elsewhere (Pre Production?) you'd get more the sort of answer you were looking for. Though it has to be said that unless you've done a couple of recces you're not yet in a position to define the task.

If you're serious about getting in to this professionally, I think the idea of hiring a pro cameraman and going along for the ride and then maybe editing it yourself is a great idea. You'll lean much, I'm sure.
    Tim

8. Default

Well, I'm thinking now of hiring a pro cameraman for one training course. Do you know the average price? and thanks for advice.

Price for a pro depends on your location. Where are you based? In the UK, you can expect to pay 250 upwards per day. Also, sounds like you'll be very dependant on him/her for advice and equipment needed. Will the pro need to supply their own equipment?

10. Default

In this case will be better if cameraman brings his own equipment... Anyway, What I'm thinking now is that if I take a lesson from one of you guys. I live in London. If some one is interested or knows someone who can give this kind of lesson then please send me your details. Many thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast