Thread: ok so im new... HD problems

Default ok so im new... HD problems

i have recently purchesed a samsung hd camcorder, i films in full 1080i HD. i have a few questions about HD filming. firstly i need a good program to use to edit HD, as my camera shoot mp4? so i cannot use the basic windows movie maker. things such as sony vagas are far to complicated for a novise like me. i ride a bmx bike and i shoot alot of footage for that, so everythink is moving ect.

basically my qurstions are...

1)can i change the format so my camera shoots in say avi? but still in full 1080 HD, if not can i convert from mp4 and will that effect the quality.

2) any sugestions for a video editing softwere. i dont mind paying, however it needs to be good, but basic, of fairly basic.

3) any suggestions for settings i should maybe consider using for moving shots, close up and far away.

4) im not shure yet but i think my camera might jump, ill post a hf vid to show you, please excuse the bad language and crapness, i just couldnt wait to get it out the box.

many regards, james.

[ame=http://vimeo.com/6656974]Untitled on Vimeo[/ame]

here is a quick clip

Hi James

A lot of software struggles with AVCHD as it's highly compressed and needs not only an editor that supports the files but also a computer that will handle the format!! You probably need to make sure that your computer has at least a QuadCore processor and at least 4GB ram just to start!!

The usual method to allow you to edit AVCHD on a slower machine with most editors is to Transcode it from AVCHD to HDV which is a lot less processor intensive!!!
    I use VAAST's Upshift which will transcode your camera files into full HD format and use the HDV format (".m2t") I doubt whether you will be able to see the difference even on a big HDTV!!!

Just remember with editing that a 1920x1080i file that your camera shoots is in fact a 1440x 1080 video file because the horizontal pixel aspect ratio is 1.333 (1440 x 1.33 = 1920!!!) Don't be alarmed if the editor recognises the clip as 1440 wide..this is perfectly normal and it's still full HD!!!

Unless you have a BluRay burner you will be making an SD DVD anyway so that is another compromise!!! I actually transcode my own AVCHD directly down to SD AVI before editing if it's going onto a DVD!!! At SD quality it's quicker and the extra render time isn't really worth it.

Chris

1)can i change the format so my camera shoots in say avi? but still in full 1080 HD, if not can i convert from mp4 and will that effect the quality.

You cannot change to avi, high definition camcorders record in either mpeg2 (HDV) or mpeg4 (AVCHD). Yes you can convert from mpeg4 to other formats but there may be some quality loss as the original file is the highest quality.

2) any sugestions for a video editing softwere. i dont mind paying, however it needs to be good, but basic, of fairly basic.

Sony Vegas Platinum 9 or Corel Video Studio Pro X2, you need to spend time learning how to use an NLE as there is no quick fix way to do it.

3) any suggestions for settings i should maybe consider using for moving shots, close up and far away.

Shoot in Progressive mode or 25p instead of 25i as you tend to get a lot of interlacing artifacts in movement while using 25i.

4) im not shure yet but i think my camera might jump, ill post a hf vid to show you, please excuse the bad language and crapness, i just couldnt wait to get it out the box.

Your camera jumps? Do you mean it is unsteady? That's down to the person holding it and not the camera itself. Check the manual or menu for optical stabilisation, that will help eliminate some of the movement but you need to learn how to keep the camera steady yourself.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 09-20-2009 at 10:59 AM.

Domestic HD cams are highly unlikely to have any recording mode other than 1080i so there will be no progressive mode at all.

The movement question all depends on what chip the camera uses. If it's a 3 chip CCD then you have no problems with movement and I suspect you have a CMOS sensor which doesn't like fast movement and you also get the "jello" effect when you move or bump the camera (the picture wobbles)

If it is a CMOS camera then just be aware of these limitations and keep the footage as smooth as you can. From the footage, it looks like a CMOS problem!!

I still suggest you first look at your computer before choosing an editor!!! but Corel and Vegas are both good!! I use Vegas 9 but teethed on Corel Luminiere more than 20 years ago (the new Corel handles AVCHD nicely)

Chris

aww right, thanks chris. yeah my camera has these options.

1080/50i (SF)
    1080/50i (N)
    1080/25p
    720/50p

and them some other low quality ones, not HD.

what would you suggest for shooting moving objects from close up angles, maybe with the camera still and or following the moving object

Sorry I stand corrected!!

By all means try the progressive modes but I find that they don't handle fast motion well. If your cam indeed has a CMOS and not CCD chip then avoid any fast motion to begin with!!

Shooting in 25p will make rendering down to DVD a lot less stressful as you don't have reversed interlacing fields to worry about (HD is Upper Field first and SD is Lower field first)

Shooting at 720 will put less strain on your computer as it's a smaller file!!!

Chris

Default Try renaming RAW "*.MP4" files to "*.Mov" files

Quote Originally Posted by jflanz View Post
    aw right, thanks Chris. yeah my camera has these options.

1080/50i (SF)
    1080/50i (N)
    1080/25p
    720/50p
    Hi JFlanz,

I am no expert, but with the above settings if by chance frame rates and or formats are changed, then the first considerations would be, what format does your area use? As in Pal or NTSC?, as these two formats have different frame rates and colo/ur filters applied to them, I am confident all the above are Pal except for that "1080/50i (N)" which may be NTSC..

Your computer is also effected by what area you live in, because with a lot of "NLE's" Err~Video Editing Software - when they are installed, may default to output your videos to your Areas Pal or NTSC standards..

So what may result is if you record with a camcorder or setting that is with 30 frames a second recording, and after editing, your output video may be a Pal 25 frames a second format, the results are a video that is absolutely jerky...

One more thing, if you or any one else reading this owns Corels VideoStudio X2 and or any other NLE or video editor that doesn't recognize what their camcorder spews out, such as videos with the extension ".Mp4" - I find by renaming the videos say from "Image 001.MP4" to "Image 001.Mov" it allows me to import and edit my raw clips with no problems..

Hope this works for you,

Cheers,

Pete..
    Last edited by laidback; 09-23-2009 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Forgot to add Title
    May the Universe return a hundred
    fold what you charge unto others