Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Mug Shot"

Default "Mug Shot"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8niayhGo0Eo]YouTube - famous mug shot[/ame]

Feel free to comment, and ask me any questions. Thanks for your time.
    BTW, i made this for my school's show.

I liked that it made me laugh. A few noticable jump cuts and abrupt change of angle, but none the less entertaining.

Blog Entries

Bought a few grins to my face too. Same comments as Nikosony but amusing nonetheless.

Guess what I'll be trying to do over the next couple of days...

Blog Entries

Wasn't there one using a similar idea (but with a basketball) here a few weeks back? I think this has a better feel to it.

Admission time: I cannot figure out how this is done. Yet.
    Tim

Funny and surprising!

For those of you who want to know how this is done, it is by using a tool in your editing software (hopefully you have it) called crop. I don't have time to explain it now, but I am going to edit this post later to explain in depth on how to do it.

(EDIT)

OK, the way I did this was a little time consuming, but in my opinion not too hard. The program I use to edit is Adobe Premeir (I think thats how its spelled). On the time line for your software you should have at least 3 layers open. Sometimes I would use up to 6 (the one where the two girls are sitting back to back). Anyways, you better have a dam good tripod, because it shouldn't move in any direction at all, or your video will most likely be messed up. After you set up your tripod where you want it, simply place a cup/mug somewhere on the screen. Then, you must have the person who is throwing the pen/pencil either to the right or left of the cup/mug. You cannot have them directly behind it. Then you must take three shots. (it could be done with two, but its a lot more complicated). The first shot is of nothing. Simply the backround and the cup/mug. The second shot should be of the person throwing the pen into the cup/mug. No, you do not have to make it. All you have to do is get it to touch the top of the cup/mug and bounce off, or to get extremely close to the top. Your third shot should be a regular person dropping the pen from a distance of about a foot - two feet into the cup/mug. After you finish, import the three clips into your editing software and crop the shot where you drop the pen/pencil in the cup/mug almost completely out. All you should see is the mug and the distance from the top of the cup/mug to the end of the pen/pencil once it is already inside. Then you place that clip onto the clip where you have the person throwing the pen/pencil at the cup/mug. You should move the cup/mug directly over the other one so that it looks like one picture. With the shot of the plain mug and backround, crop it so that it covers the pen/pencil after it bounces of the top of the cup/mug, so that it looks like as soon as it hit the cup/mug it disapears. After all that time the two videos of the pen/pencil hitting the top of the cup/mug with the one where it is dropped in from above to make it look like the person is throwing it inside. I'm sorry if this was long and difficult, but feel free to ask me any questions.
    Last edited by Kingster; 09-21-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Blog Entries

I've figured various approaches but they rely on the pen leaving the frame. Kicking myself that I haven't sussed it. Yet.
    Tim

Great stuff!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

nice

Blog Entries

Thanks for the explanation, Kingster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingster View Post
    The second shot should be of the person throwing the pen into the cup/mug. No, you do not have to make it. All you have to do is get it to touch the top of the cup/mug and bounce off, or to get extremely close to the top.
    Therein lies the problem. Getting it within two feet would be a miracle.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast