Thread: Help (Shot in HD,editing in Adobe PP) and now cant render!

Default Help (Shot in HD,editing in Adobe PP) and now cant render!

I shot with a Sony HD XR-100E which recorded my footage in .m2ts format. I have around 15 hrs of footage. I converted the footage to .wmv using the PMB software I got with the camcorder. When I tried converting to .avi using a crack version of a convertor, the quality loss was tremendous. FCP didnt recognise the.wmv files but Adobe Premier Pro did.

I have edited my movie which is roughly 31 minutes long. But now Premier Pro refuses to render. Every time I try rendering, the computer gets hanged or Premier Pro shuts down on its own.

I ve tried shifting computers but nothing seems to work. How can I salvage my project? Is there a solution? Ive been told Premier Pro does not render wmv files at all. Is that true? Will I have to edit my project all over again?

Blog Entries

Why did you convert to WMV? A more logical workflow would be to either edit the AVCHD files in an editor that supports the format (CS4 for Premiere), or convert to DV using a freely available tool such as Super C or a cheap but solid convertor TMPGEnc Xpress.

I suggest that you start your project again using one of the above methods. You can salvage your project by exporting an Edit Decision List (EDL).

So,you think its not rendering because of the .wmv format?

I have the original footage on my camera. A friend has suggested that I record my original footage onto dv tape and then capture it back on the comp. That files will now be in .avi. He said that I could then try linking all my files in the already existing project to this new format. And then try rendering.

Think thats possible? Or is there some other problem which is stopping the rendering? Also, does Premier Pro have an EDL? Because Im using Premier Pro not CS3 or CS4.

Download a 30 day trial of Sony Vegas Platinum 9 or if you prefer more features then download a 30 day trial of Sony Vegas Professional 9 and open your .m2ts files in it. Edit the .m2ts files and then export to whatever medium you wish. Keeping the files as .m2ts will keep the high defintion quality intact rather than converting to other formats such as .wmv and .avi.

Actually, I was hoping I wont have to redo my project. I ve got heckload of assignments and exams coming up.Got to finish my movie before then. Starting all over again will be cumbersome.

Is there some way I can convert to avi or some other format and then link it to my Premier pro project.Somehow.Im clutching at straws here.

I would really like to know why the project didnt render in the first place. This is my first attempt at editing. And Id like to understand the problem.

Starting all over again will be the last resort.....

Which version of Premiere do you have? If it is CS4 then you can import high defintion mts and m2ts files directly into it but if it is an earlier version you can't. I think in CS3 you have to download and pay for Main Concepts mpeg converter, though I might be wrong about that, someone else please correct that if it is wrong. Other than buying a dedicated converter (mts or m2ts to avi) and converting the files to avi and not wmv I don't see any other way of doing it.