Thread: Why does it take me 8 hours to rip a DVD?

Default Why does it take me 8 hours to rip a DVD?

I'm new to the ripping scene and I'm using AVS Converter 6.3 .......when I rip a DVD I just open the first Vob file that contains the first part of the movie and I have it set to rip to MPEG4 (DIVX,XVID),768 kbps;Audio MP3, 96kbps..............I hit the convert button and it takes like 8 hours to finish.....is this normal?........am I doing something wrong?.........any help would be appreciated...........thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drumcrazd View Post
    I'm new to the ripping scene and I'm using AVS Converter 6.3 .......when I rip a DVD I just open the first Vob file that contains the first part of the movie and I have it set to rip to MPEG4 (DIVX,XVID),768 kbps;Audio MP3, 96kbps..............I hit the convert button and it takes like 8 hours to finish.....is this normal?........am I doing something wrong?.........any help would be appreciated...........thanks
    Hi Drumcrazd,

My first thoughts are, that you are using a computer that is over 3 years old and or a single cored CPU with very little memory installed..

If indeed your computer is not a dual or quad core with a minimum of 4 gigs of memory, then when you get around to updating it, to a quad core with at least 4 gigs of memory, your rendering times should be considerably shorter..

Going by your rendering times, I would say your computer is a single cored Pentium clocking around 1.5 GHz max with around 1 gigs or less memory installed, this is just a guess mind you..

Cheers and good luck with your pending upgrade Drumcrazd..

Pete..
    May the Universe return a hundred
    fold what you charge unto others

Wow!...there you go...you answered my question and you are totally right.......my computer is 1.5G with 512M of memory.....guess I need to upgrade......thanks very much

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by laidback View Post
    Going by your rendering times, I would say your computer is a single cored Pentium clocking around 1.5 GHz max with around 1 gigs or less memory installed,
    Care to guess this Saturday's UK National Lottery numbers, Pete?
    Tim

You don't want him doing Derren Brown out of a job.

Default Important Upgrade Advice

Quote Originally Posted by drumcrazd View Post
    Wow!...there you go...you answered my question and you are totally right.......my computer is 1.5G with 512M of memory.....guess I need to upgrade......thanks very much
    You're welcome Drumcrazd,

Juts keep in mind when you do upgrade, opt for the minimum of 4 gigs of memory and make sure the modules are the fastest available, so that you're memory is not the bottle neck three years from now..

If the budget allows go for matched pair/s of 2 or 4 gigs which logically totals up to 4 or 8 Gigs of memory, the reason why one must always have matched memory modules rather than just one, is that a matched set doubles the memory throughput via it enables dual/quad channelling motherboards to dual/quad channel mode - which slashes rendering times to an even shorter time, compared to an alike system that has a single large memory module installed..

Also - I would consider AMD over Pentium, even if the clock speeds are the same, but I have to point out, I base this decision on my experience many years ago, when I owned an AMD 800 MHz and very briefly a Pentium III 1 GHz that simply was an absolute dog when I compared the two, and I say there is no better way to compare systems, other than rendering the same large video file, as this is the main reason for the computer in the first place..

Good Luck and cheers,

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Care to guess this Saturday's UK National Lottery numbers, Pete?

Who~key, 2, 14, 34, 8, 23, 7

Good Luck and Cheers..

There you go!

That says it all doesn't it?

Pete..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by laidback View Post
    Who~key, 2, 14, 34, 8, 23, 7
    Now, just suppose .....
    Tim