Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having Difficulty

Default Having Difficulty

I am an amateur editor and movie maker, using primarily Sony Vegas 8 Pro. I was wondering if anyone has some tips on how to make this intro.

Top Gear Intro:

The intro captures my attention and would be different than anything I've previously done as seen here:

Download Files From anorean

Edit for clarification: I have attempted this on a few occasions based on some tutorials I found. Although they do not give a complete rundown on how to make this opening (mostly just how to put more than one video in at once), I have still tried to at least make more than one video run at a time in the space allotted to me. I have, thus far, been unsuccessful.
    Last edited by xxusernamexx; 09-16-2009 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxusernamexx View Post
    I have still tried to at least make more than one video run at a time in the space allotted to me. I have, thus far, been unsuccessful.
    Can you explain a little further on how you're failing? It's a complex bit of PIP's and crops, but Vegas is more than capable of producing it. A low spec PC would struggle - though should be still able to produce it, if you've got the time.

Well, like I said, I'm an amateur at this and a good run down of how to do it would be helpful. The overlay of their silhouettes is something I don't know how to do. The multiple bits of footage on the video is the part I fail on. I'm basically looking for a friendly tutorial on how to accomplish something like this.

Well, a tutorial of how to produce that exact video, would take someone with quite a bit of time on their hands! That's a piece of work produced by an advanced editor. 1. have you got the Vegas manual? 2. Do you already know how to pan/crop? 3. Do you understand keyframes? 4. Do you understand how overlay works? When you say you fall down on the multiple video, what exactly is going wrong? That's one of the easiest parts.

1. No
    2. Somewhat
    3. Yes
    4. Somewhat

I can't explain what I am doing wrong. Just forget it.

Hi

It's not that complicated if you do it in stages!! Each clip is simply a video which has it's own track in Vegas so do one at a time and build on the intro from there.

Drop the first clip on a video track and then resize and position it where you want it to start using the Track Motion icon. That will automatically create a start keyframe in the mini timeline in track motion. If you play the project you should have a correctly positioned video that just runs in a portion of the screen..if it's wrong just resize it until it's correct...remember there is no movement yet!!
    When that's correct go back into Track Motion and click somewhere along the mini-timeline in track motion..this will create a new keyframe position. Now drag the video to the position you want it to finish at (even off the screen) You can watch it in preview to determine the position. Close Track Motion and play your video and the clip will now move from the start position to the end position!! If it moves too quickly or too slowly just go back to track motion and drag the keyframe point (a little diamond shape) closer or further to the start point.
    Once you have it moving exactly as you want it to move, create a new track in Vegas and drop the next clip onto the track and repeat the process as before BUT on the new track!!! When you view, both clips will move together and you can simply keep adding new tracks and new content until you are happy!!!

Chris

I think the main problem is that you're trying to run before you can walk. Am I right in thinking that you don't know how to create a second video track? Right click anywhere on the existing track and take that option. Now put a second clip above. Go to the pan/crop option, then just resize it smaller by dragging the handles. Now preview it. How many clips do you see?
    If you haven't got the Vegas manual, I'm sure you can get it somewhere on the net. Boring to read maybe, but necessary.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Softweigh View Post
    Hi

It's not that complicated if you do it in stages!! Each clip is simply a video which has it's own track in Vegas so do one at a time and build on the intro from there.
    Chris, there's actually a much more flexible way of doing this that Grazie opened my eyes to about 19 monts/two years back.
    Rather than resize & position each clip using TM use TWO tracks per clip with a parent/child relationship.
    In each pair the parent track simply has a white generated media and the compositing mode is set to Mask(Multiply).
    Now apply a Bezier mask to the white media to create the shape of the "window" you want.
    The child track has the video clip.

It seems more complicated, but once you get used to this method of working it has many advantages.
    It's very easy to simply change the video clip behind the "window" (for example if you want to maintain the same structure but change the images)
    You can change the position/size/shape of the visible bit of video and the "window" independently of each other by using track motion for each track OR move the the window together with it's image using Parent Track Motion.
    It also makes life easier if your video clip is repeated over two or more tracks for compositing purposes as you do not have to ensure all tracks have the same mask applied.

If you ever get a chance to experiment with this I recommend you try it. It's a real eye opener.

BTW I'm not for one second suggesting the OP attempts this method - your post, Chris, was as good as any I've ever read on the technique - I just thought you and others may be interested.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 09-17-2009 at 01:01 PM.
    Tim

Hey Tim

Brilliant!! I'll give that a whirl!!! Great idea using Parent child groups with masks!!!

Chris

Thank you, I think I was having an issue because the video tutorial wasn't being clear enough. This cleared it up, thank you for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast