Thread: Jump Ship?

Default Jump Ship?

Well people. I'm one of a number of people under threat of redundancy at the end of this year. The redundancy package calculator has just been revealed and my package (with a few quick sums to allow for the taxable bits) works out at the equivalent of about a year's take-home pay.

No mortgage so, should I take it and run or what? Spend a year learning new (marketable) skills and maybe even make some pocket money by doing my videoing and actually getting paid for it instead of doing it as favours (for the experience).

My chance to do what I would not have the courage to try otherwise eh?

Blog Entries

At the risk of sounding like a damp squib Alan, you're asking yourself the wrong question.

Whether or not you'd otherwise have the courage is not nearly as significant as is it something you want to do?

Or possibly is it something you want to do more than anything else that it might be possible for you to do.

Forget the courage aspect. When needs must or when the desire is great enough you find the courage.

I can thourougly recommend working for yourself though. If I may bore you for a minute with my own experience:

I was made redundant early in 1995. Wife, two kids and mortgage all to look out for and the equivalent of two months' salary - so I didn't have the luxury of deciding what to do - I needed to work.

Now, I am most definitely NOT the sort of go getter who has a hunger for business. I pretty much like a life where I'm told what to do and can go away and quietly do it well. However I was suddenly forced into a position where I needed to make a choice. The jobs that appealed didn't pay enough and the jobs that paid enough didn't interest me.

So I gambled and did something I'd never have imagined doing - went self employed. Being in IT this wasn't particularly difficult as PCs were by this time mainstream and I'd spent the last 8 years as the Operations Manager of a small but rapidly growing PC/Networking Business.

I've never looked back. I've worked for said small company and prior to that for 10 years for a very large frozen food producer (again in IT - mainframes this time). So I haven't woked for many companies, but I have come to the conclusion that unless you're top dog or at the bottom of the pile you tend to be given too much responsibility without enough authority.

The beauty of working for yourself if YOU set the targets. If you quote too low, you only have yourself to blame not some idiot in sales who "throws in" a few extra days' engineering time "cos that doesn't come off his budget". If someone else cocks up it's either not your problem or it's an opportunity to earn some money putting it right (and quite probably some kudos as well). When you produce results it's you who gets the thanks or praise.

I'm NEVER going to make much money (that's not to say someone who is talented at what they do cannot do so working alone), but I have a clear conscience, a satisfactory income and (most of the time) enjoy my work.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    No mortgage so, should I take it and run or what? Spend a year learning new (marketable) skills and maybe even make some pocket money by doing my videoing and actually getting paid for it instead of doing it as favours (for the experience).
    It's a fantastic oportunity.