Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building My Perfect Computer!

1. Default Building My Perfect Computer!

Hello everyone,

I jusr recently started to research buying a new Computer strictly for video editing and came across this site. I must say it is the BEST site I have been able to find on this topic, just tremendous stuff in these forums. Let me give you a little background on what I am looking to do...(also I am in the United States)

I am looking for the perfect PC (or Mac?) for video editing. I have countless hours and tapes in all formats (DV, VHS, VHS-C, 8MM) that I want to be able to transfer and edit onto DVD through this computer. It will need to be something that can process countless hours of video (I always worry after putting so much on a hard drive and deleting over and over that it will slow down quickly. I need this machine to last and also be upgradeable.

I don't know the first thing about computers specifications, etc (but did read the building a computer guide here). What else would I need for this project? Transfer programs for the video to the computer? But mainly I am looking for what computer I should look at for this task that would able me to do what I am looking to do smoothly. I have looked at HP, Dell, and the Mac Pro (very expensive!)

As far as price and budget, I could spend over $3,000 if need be, but I'm hoping what I'm looking for and need is somewhat less than that.

Thanks and any questions let me know, I'm off to browse the rest of these forums!

2. Default

Also to add to this I am 99% sure I am going to go with Sony Vegas Movie Studio for editing.

It seams you're machine will revolve mainly around getting enough storage for all of your footage.

You can either store this onto to multiple internal hard drives or on external drives. since you have a lot of footage, an external hard drive may be a safe way to archive it. perhaps something like this will do. Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II 2TB FireWire 800/400/USB 2.0/eSATA 7200rpm Ext : WD-MBS200

if you want to keep everything on internal hard drives, i recommend getting an external backup drive too.

Also since all of your footage is only SD, you will not need a top of the line pc, although this will future proof it if you do upgrade your camera in the future. you also mentioned 8MM, is this 8MM film?

4. Default

It's not so much storage. I will be putting on 3-10 hours at a time, creating it into a DVD and then deleting the footage and restarting the process. I just worry about after doing that so many times the computer slowing down.

5. Default

Ok I need some quick replies! I can pull the trigger on this deal from Dell but I have to do it TODAY to save about $500 (american)! Please if you have time could you look over these specifications and tell me how well they should handle the video editing I am looking for? Thank you ahead of time! I need to order this by midnight tonight to save...(The total cost came to $1,497.00 American)

PROCESSORS Intel® Core™ i7-920 processor(8MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz)
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
    OFFICE SOFTWARE No Productivity software pre-installed
    WARRANTY AND SERVICE 3Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
    SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
    MEMORY 9GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs
    HARD DRIVE 1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
    OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to DVD/CD/BD)
    MONITOR Dell S1909WX 19 inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
    VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB
    SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    SPEAKERS Dell AX510PA 10W Attached Speaker for Dell Flat Panel Monitors
    Dell Recommends
    Multimedia Speaker System delivers an ideal combination of performance and value
    Upgrade to Bose Companion 2 Series II Multimedia Speaker System [add $100 or $3/month1]
    WIRELESS Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet edit
    My Accessories
    DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year edit
    Studio XPS 9000 Studio XPS 9000
    Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
    LABELS Windows Vista™ Premium
    REMOTE ACCESS Dell Remote Access, free basic service

Ok that will edit HD video.To keep your computer running best with video editing, defrag as often as possible.a seperate hard drive for footage will work the best but that will be fine.1 hard drive for Os1 for footage

7. Default

Perfect, I was going to buy an external hard drive for the footage so that seems to work. Now you say it edits HD, but I can also transfer my old VHS, VHS-C, etc to regular DVDs with this and edit that footage correct? Shouldnt be any compatability issues? Will the Blue Ray handle the regular DVD's as well?

I will edit everything up to AVCHDso this will includ SD footageq, such as VHS and DVD.How arte you planning to transfer the footage to the computer?something like this will give you the best quality image. Canopus ADVC55,ADVC-55 Analog DV Converter

9. Default

I actually have a basic sony dvd burner/recorder hooked up to my TV. So my plan was to play the VHS tapes through a VCR and record onto the burner and burn them to dvd's...then transfer to the PC on the DVD...should this work ok? Will I lose too much quality?

that is a long winded way any will take quite a long while but that will work.

i'd recommend getting dedicated video capture hardware, either usb or firewire. i have used dazzle products from pinnacle before and they are very good, i don't have any experience with anything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast