Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P Matt. 1981-2009

Smile R.I.P Matt. 1981-2009

My new video.
    I had set up an interview to film with my grandfather to get him talking about his life, for future generations to know him a little more etc.

Once I was finished, I couldn't resist using the setup to film a little mock interview for myself.

Enjoy:

Nicely shot. Multiple cameras I assume?

Nice little touches like the cutaways to the hands.

Very surreal stuff

I liked it. Very creative! Nice lighting too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkOneMusic View Post
    Multiple cameras I assume?
    My guess is not. Matt's a good actor and I suspect he's more than capable of pulling off virtually identical moves time after time.
    My guess would be a number of takes from different angles and mixing the best bits of each.

The trick when editing is always to cut on a move - made particularly difficult here as there's so little movement - but done convincingly enough to look like one long take.

No doubt Matt will prove me wrong and say it was four cameras and one take
    Tim

Blog Entries

Love your sense of humour, Matt. Another great script idea - right up my boulevard (as Richard O'Brien once described the music a mate and I were playing in a hotel lobby many years ago. I thought it pretentious then but I use it in a post-pretentiousness ironic manner now).

But it wouldn't have been half as good without your deadpan delivery. Some great timing and understated expression in there.

Minor criticisms/suggestions:

I thought the close ups weren't quite close enough - your head doesn't move enough to justify the rather large amount of space around it.

The hand shots were good. I'd have liked to have seen a couple of extreme close ups (mouth or eyes) to add a bit more variety (and pathos?).

And I'm really sorry you had to die to make that film. I hope head no 29 doesn't take too long to surface.
    Tim

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it.
    It was a 2 camera shoot, you can probably tell the wide cam is of a poorer quality, it's also why I had to go for 4:3 as it's my old camera. But it did the job.

I had the setup to film an interview with my Grandfather, once we were finished I hopped in the chair myself.

This was all done in 1 straight take, with a few pauses cut out for flow purposes.

I would have liked to have done more arty extreme close ups and more hand shots but by this time I was all by myself and had no one to operate the camera, so it was very difficult.

So yes, the main 'close up' shot wasn't framed particularly well, and I think I slouched a bit too which didn't help and I wasn't able to constantly monitor my shot.

I was considering starting over but I ran out of time as had to clear all the kit away.

I suppose you learn from these things though. I won't try to film an interview with myself, by myself again anytime soon!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clay_9 View Post
    This was all done in 1 straight take, with a few pauses cut out for flow purposes.
    Impressive indeed.
    Tim

You're nuts boyo...Nicely done though

Quote Originally Posted by solway View Post
    You're nuts boyo...Nicely done though
    Nuts I am indeed! Surely it helps in this business though?
    Posted via Mobile Device

A clever idea on a very strange subject indeed. To be honest I still don't know if I like it or dislike it. It's brave because it's so strange, unless of course your a professional actor in which case I would imagine its fairly straight forward stuff. It's certainly a film you will look back on fondly I think as the years roll by.

I think it would have benefited from having a black background so that its just you in the picture and I agree much tighter shots.

I would not have the balls to do a film like this so I take my hat off to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast