Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masking a moving object in Vegas Pro 8

1. Default Masking a moving object in Vegas Pro 8

Hi,

I'm just getting to grips with the whole concept of masking and learning my way around it. While I can obviously mask an item in the video that is static without too many problems, I don't know how you get this mask to then follow the line/curves/outline of a moving horizontal/vertical/zooming item in the video?

My issue is with walking ducks that I want to isolate and follow as they walk left but obviously Ive created the mask around them and when they walk forward they walk out of the mask - how do I get the mask to follow them and follow their settings?

I'm certain I'm missing something (maybe track motion settings) - can anyone help?!

Thanks in advance

Manuly is the only way I am afraid, there is no auto button, look on you tube for tutorials

3. Default

By keyframing your mask to move with it. A laborious project.

4. Default

Thanks - I thought that may be the case!! Surely a colour matching, intelligent masking option is not beyond the realms of today's technology!!?? Obviously I'm just too darn optimistic

Intelligent masking, if only! Masking is a labour of love and you need a lot of patience for that keyframing lark.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
    Thanks - I thought that may be the case!! Surely a colour matching, intelligent masking option is not beyond the realms of today's technology!!?? Obviously I'm just too darn optimistic

Well colour matching is what chromakey is all about. BUT the colours have to be VERY consistent to achieve a good "key". Either your subject or your background have to be a consistent colour and not just colour, but luminance as well. This is why you'll read so many posts stressing the importance of even lighting when doing "green screen" work.

The problem with your clips is that the ducks will be a multitude of colours and shades, most of which will ALSO appear elsewhere in the image. So you're stuck with keyframing. Which is very tedious as I found out when experimenting and making "Four Elise" which I'll shamelessly plug again: http://www.videoforums.co.uk/user-vi...tml#post107936
    Tim

After effects is the programme for this. It's actually quite easy with that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    After effects is the programme for this. It's actually quite easy with that.
    You don't by any chance have a link (preferably with video) that shows this in operation in AE, do you Archie (or anyone)? I'm intriged as to how it can be made easier.
    Tim

A good one here Tim:
    After Effects Basic Training

Blog Entries

There are some really good tutorials there, Archie. Shows off AE a treat. Just need 100s to buy & more importantly about 27 years to learn the product.
    The only thing is ... I didn't really see how motion tracking would help with a moving object as in Goldfinger's example (ie where parts of the object you want to track move independently of each other) The examples of the "lime Green Solid" was a simple quadrilateral and the "think box" was a fixed shape. Maybe I just need to think this through.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast