Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JVC DX77 Problems

Default JVC DX77 Problems

Just got a JVX DX77EK and XP (pro) recognises it as a 'unknown usb device) - do not have 1394. When I try to load the drivers from the cd and go to where the inf and dll files are I get Xp says that the folder does not conatin any information for my device.
    Can anyone help???
    Thanks in anticipation.

Three words: Firewire, Firewire, Firewire.

Get a firewire/IEEE1394/i-link card.

Seriously.

There's no point in even considering video editing without one. You can get them for desktop PCs for about 15, or a laptop PCMCIA for about 25-30ish.

get the message - but can you advise if XP will then recognise the camera??

I would think it shouldn't have any problem doing so, i've heard of loads of people having similar issues.

Have you tried here: http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/...out_winxp.html ?

Bought firewire card as part of Dazzle DV Clip. - everything seems to be OK. Thanks for the help.
    (still puzzled why they give you a USB connection with the camera though - surely a firewire connection would be best all round??)

Blog Entries

It's generally provided for grabing stills rather than video from the cam.

Quote Originally Posted by CJJ
    Bought firewire card as part of Dazzle DV Clip. - everything seems to be OK. Thanks for the help.
    (still puzzled why they give you a USB connection with the camera though - surely a firewire connection would be best all round??)
    Excellent! Glad to hear it... it does confuse a lot of people when there are both USB and firewire connections.

Better get used to the idea of capturing from USB as that's the way it's going. For example the new JVC HDV camcorder has streaming capture via its USB 2 port (and that's capturing HDV). USB is equally the match of Firewire.

Firewire became the norm because when it first got added to camcorders the only alternative was USB 1.0, which clearly was woefully inadequate for capturing full frame real time video.

Don't discount it.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Blog Entries

Not discounted. However, it's currently the de facto standard and is the first thing a noob should be made aware of...

...until a cam comes with ONLY USB2 (or it transfers faster than real time, i.e uses solid state media other than tapes), it's probably the wisest thing to recommend: no drivers, guaranteed compatibity and (theoretically) no dropped frames at full res.

I'll get off my soap box now.

You find a lot of misinformation about where people will state the reason for dropped frames is because they are capturing over USB 2.0. This simply isn't accurate and stems back from the days of USB 1.0. It's rarely, if ever, backed up by any sort of facts and figures.

Also the "noob" should connect their camcorder to their PC by whichever interface is convenient for them. Therefore if the PC has a USB 2.0 port (and every pc sold has at least one of these) and the camcorder supports capture over USB 2.0 then why should they go out and purchase a firewire port and install it, just because they're new to video editing?

Besides, capturing over USB is no more reserved for the more experience video editor than capturing over firewire.

*gets off same soap box"
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast