Thread: Help with playback on Sony DCR TRV 530 its a nightmare!

1. Default Help with playback on Sony DCR TRV 530 its a nightmare!

Hi all,

I am trying to get my Sony DCR TRV 530 to playback the recorded tape in the camera LCD screen. I am using TDK Hi 8 cassette and recording with the date and time set and in SP (I have made that adjustment in the menu)

But when i switch to VCR , rewind and press play none of my footage is played and the blue screen remains while the tape plays. I played it out a long time throughout the cassette and still nothing, no static or footage ( I have cleaned my head with a Sony 8mm Head cleaner prior.

I know it is being recorded because the red light is on.

Interesting to note:

1) When in VCR and playback, in the display window, it keeps switching between LP and SP e.g. a few mins LP , a few secs SP and so on...

2) When I am in camera mode and recording, when i press record the tape counter/ timecode starts counting down the time but if i stop recording, then start again the tapecounter/ timecode starts back at zero e.g. I finished a shot at 00:02:09 , when i press record for my next shot it start back at 00:00:00

I am going absolutely nuts trying to trouble shoot this problem .... any ideas will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
    Chriss007

Has the camcorder worked alright up until now? Did you make the recording in LP mode or SP mode? Is the tape damaged, open the flap and look at it. Try another tape and see if it can be recorded onto and will playback.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Has the camcorder worked alright up until now?
    Yes, practically , i use it and dump files in WMM with no problem. It's only recently i noticed that during playback of footage, i will be seeing the footage but it will cut to the blue screen for a couple sec/mins then back to footage. Now its not even showing footage just blue screen.

Did you make the recording in LP mode or SP mode?
    I have recorded using Hi 8 tape, and in SP mode , thats why i can't understand the switching between SP and LP during playback. And during playback I switch the playback mode on the camera to Hi8/8

Is the tape damaged, open the flap and look at it. Try another tape and see if it can be recorded onto and will playback.
    I have inspected the tapes that i use and it is not damaged. I opened a new TDK Hi 8 tape to trouble shoot this problem and still no playback.

Interesting Note:

The camera is in good condition and well taken care of as its my only one. In my original post i talked about the tapcounter/timecode only going back to zero whenever i record a shot. Could this contribute to my problems, even though i have set the date and time when i record.

I know that when the playback mode is set to auto, the camera will detect the type of cassete e.g. Video8,Hi8,Digital 8 and adjust. But even in auto mode, I have been troubleshooting with all these different types and sill no playback. ( Tapes which are in pristine condition and have footage which i have edited for clients prior to this problem)

The tape eject mechanism is working , no problems.

An Idea i have:

Is there a way to manually set the camera to record on Hi8/8 . I usually just record and then adjust the playback to Hi8/8. Will this make the camrecorder recognize the tape on playback?

Thanks in advance
    Chriss007
    Last edited by Chriss007; 09-14-2009 at 05:54 PM.

how often do you clean your camera heads?

I find the "magic" tape cleaners to do nothing but ruin camera heads.

There are rumors that you should keep to the same brand of tape to always clean the camera head after every use! while i can understand the first statement, the latter just puzzles me.

This may sound silly but did you accidentally record onto a cleaning tape? i'm sure this will kill your camera head

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    how often do you clean your camera heads?

I find the "magic" tape cleaners to do nothing but ruin camera heads.
    Honestly, I agree with you, I only clean my heads when i need to , and i use the recommended head cleaner for my camera head ( Sony 8mm) I don't really mix matters when it comes to things like this, I follow the instructions 10 secs and everything works like a charm

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    This may sound silly but did you accidentally record onto a cleaning tape? i'm sure this will kill your camera head
    lol...I am sure also, I didn't . But i have talking to some folks and they say maybe its just time for this shit to happen (excuse my metaphors) Time and hard work equals retirement My Sony DCR TRV 530 is a workaholic

Wish there was some way to bring him back though, I don't know anyone who fixes these dinosaurs

Maybe the recording head has come to the end of it's life and needs to be replaced.

7. Default

Hi,

Talked to alot of folks about the problem and I just want to confirm what i didn't know what i started the original post.

The tape head is in fact damaged and it needs to be replaced.... Orrr i can get a new camcorder

Most likely i will looking for a better, more recent video camera.

Thanks for all your suggestions and ideas
    Chriss007