Thread: Wedding Audio Channels???

Default Wedding Audio Channels???

Hi Guys

I would be interested to know from those that use radio mics at the ceremony?? Do you record to both channels from the receiver (and presumably the lapel mic on the groom) or do you run the radio mic into one channel and a shotgun or similar into the other channel??

Admittedly I couple the receiver output to both channels but wondered how useful another mic might be for any audio away from the lapel that would be better recorded by another mic??? When it comes to readings I just dump a minidisk recorder under the podium with a lapel mic clipped onto the house mic but I was essentially interested if anyone uses independant channels for the actual vows etc etc???

Chris

Blog Entries

Hi Chris...

I use two radio packs, into two cameras for two reasons into one channel...

To explain...

Camera One - Radio CH1, Shotgun CH2
    Camera Two - Radio CH1 Shotgun CH2

Radio pack one on the groom, Radio pack two hidden in flowers at ceremony and on table for speeches.

The reason for two cameras? - Well, I'm paradoid really. If there's any fault whatsover - drop out, mangled tape, battery failure, whatever - the second camera is there to back everything up - admittedly not as good quality if the grooms pack gives out and I'm relying on the other, but at least theres something tangible and decent to work with.

The reason again for only recording Radio to one channel on the camera is the same - if the signal drops, batteries fail (either on transmitter or receiver) as well as the second pack, theres a double, double back up left - the mic channel.

With a wedding being such a critical no second take ever affair - I dont think I can afford to take any chances at all.

What I'd call a 'belt and braces' approach.

One other thing - I find the lav mic is often quite 'dead' in terms of sound. Ie, its the groom, loudly and nothing ambient. Its got his breathing etc etc... It's close and restrictive.. he's got his back to everyone else and they dont get picked up fully. The shotguns by comparison pick up all the ambient - Mixing the two carefully gives the viewer everything...
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 09-12-2009 at 07:13 AM.

Hi Andy

Many thanks!! So my thinking isn't that daft after all!!! I had a situation 2 weeks ago where the nervous groom knocked the lapel out of it's clip on his jacket and the mic itself fell somewhere inside his "nether" regions so the audio was a bit muffled!! I was only about 15' from him so a shotgun on the other channel would have saved the day. I had to crank up the audio levels on the camera so I could get reasonable audio.

The way I look at it is that if the CH1 audio is flawless you can simply delete the CH2 audio and copy the track from CH1 in the NLE if necessary

I'll run the ceremony audio that way on the next wedding..most of our weddings are outdoors too (last weekend was a howling gale!!) so it's good to have a second track that might work a bit better!!

Chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Softweigh View Post
    ..Many thanks!! So my thinking isn't that daft after all!!! ...
    Not at all Chris. The way I see it, anything we can do to ensure a silly mistake doesn't cost us a refund is worth it.

Imagine for a second - if you hadn't had that shotgun there as an alternative - the consequences would be horrible. The couples trust us to get it right, first time every time. My guess is the groom wouldn't be too impressed if he copped the blame for no vows on his own video...

EDIT - just re-read your reply - ouch - you didn't have a shotgun - hmmm off to the shops then?

EDIT, EDIT -
    Quote Originally Posted by Softweigh View Post
    ...The way I look at it is that if the CH1 audio is flawless you can simply delete the CH2 audio and copy the track from CH1 in the NLE if necessary..
    I keep the other channel either way - it gives a lovely ambient feeling..
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 09-12-2009 at 09:34 AM.

Hey Andy

It was on the camera but I had the radio mic rigged so it fed into the External mic input (not the XLR channels) and the cable from the receiver is a mono to stereo so it feeds both channels...when the audio goes down everthing goes down!!!

Chris

I use a Radio Mic (Sen G1) on CH2 and the Sen Rifle On Ch1 on the Camera

For the Service I have 1 RM on the Groom and the other where the readings are to be, I then switch the RX to what ever CH is required Readings Mic during hymns and back to Groom for the vows

During the speeches as above plus an additional RM for the three speeches, so
    RM1 = FOB
    RM2 = Groom
    RM2 = Best Man

I then switch the RX as required, am nackered if ther are two Bestmen....

Another vote for separate audio from me. I use 2 cameras, one with onboard stereo (usually at the back/on a balcony). The main one at the front with an NTG-2. I use my G2 radio mic to a mini-disc recorder, started about 15mins before the ceremony. As we all know, you can miss a little bit of video, but as long as you have audio you can fix it.

Hi Archie

Nice to know you take precautions too!! I had a situation last year where the bride and groom signed the register and when the groom got up he pulled the cable from the transmitter so the bride and groom were presented to the guest with not one speck of audio!! Even low level audio from the mic on the camera would have saved that situation!!! Luckily he took the blame and was still delighted with his DVD!!!

Chris