Thread: New to Editing

Default New to Editing

Hi all, I'm new here and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I am new to editing and currently have a sony PC120 digital video camera with a raynox 0.5 wide angled lense.

I've just been getting used to jumping with it etc, therefore, have been getting used to basic editing it on my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop using the standard windows Movie Maker (the standard version and version 2.6).

Now is where I am interested in producing some good quality DVD's and after reading some of the posts on here, would probably like to stick with Windows based software rather than buying a mac purely for editing. Theferore, I could be doing with some direction on the following:

1. Is my current laptop (running Windows Vista) sufice to get me up and running?

2. What is a good/recommended/proven editing software package that I could purchase.

Many Thanks!

Can you give us some specifications of your laptop so that we can get a better idea of what you're editing with?

If you want to push forward with editing, then you're right in looking for a better software package as WMM is just so limited. I currently use Adobe Premiere Pro (although that could be a bit expensive for you depending on what you want to spend) so why not check out Adobe Premiere Elements. It's quite easy to learn to use and provides some great functions.

Hope this helps.
    www.nothingissound.co.uk // http://www.youtube.com/user/truebassist

Sony DSR-PDX10 // Sony Wide Angle Conversion Lens 0.7x // Sony ECM-NV1 // RØDE NTG-1 // Dolly [coming soon]

Adobe CS4 Master Suite // MacBook Pro Alu 2.4Ghz

Hi, and thanks for your reply! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I have been away for a few days. The spec of my laptop is as follows:

Dell Inspiron 1525, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU, T5750 @ 2.00 GHz 2GHz
    Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
    32 Bit Operating System

(all copied directly from the Control Panel!)

I am unsure about the Graphics spec or whether or not it is upgradable, as I do not know where to find these details.

I forgot to mention, the main use of my camera is for capturing Skydives and producing DVD's. Therefore, I am looking for the best suited software for editing short films (usually no longer than 5-10 mins long) with some good editing effects and good music ability.

Looking at the quality of my camera on an HD TV playing directly from the camera it looks as if I am also going to have to upgrade to an HDV camera soon, however, that is a whole different avenue as there are all types of helmet and compatibility issues.

Any advice on the above will be greatly appreciated!

I would think that Premiere Elements would be a good starting point for you, maybe looking at Premiere Pro later on depending on how serious you want to get. Download the trial version and have a play around to see if you like it.
    www.nothingissound.co.uk // http://www.youtube.com/user/truebassist

Sony DSR-PDX10 // Sony Wide Angle Conversion Lens 0.7x // Sony ECM-NV1 // RØDE NTG-1 // Dolly [coming soon]

Adobe CS4 Master Suite // MacBook Pro Alu 2.4Ghz

Premiere is definitely the way forward. Once you've got into it, getting the mac might seem like less of waste of money... Final Cut Pro is one of the best.

Ok I downloaded a free trial of Premiere Elements, howvere, it is very temprimental on my computer (takes ages to start up and freezes quite a lot).

The other one I tried was Corel VideoStudio 12.0 - this seemed to be more basic than the Windowns Software, it actually limits you to only one effect only per clip, for example: If you have music on a clip, you cannot use the fade in/out option - Rubbish!

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Get a new machine? If you can't run elements, then you wont have the power to edit videos. Video editing takes more power than high end gaming.

Or perhaps fixing your computer

Any computer made within the last 4 years should be able to edit SD video

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHaynes View Post
    Video editing takes more power than high end gaming.
    But, ironically, much less GPU power.

(Yeah, I know, I know, but those are exceptions rather than the rule)
    Tim

I started with Pinnacle Studio. But i suggest premiere or final cut. As for a system with capabilities specs, I think your current computer would run Pinnacle, but I suggest a dual core proccessor at least 2.4 Ghz.