Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Achieve Widescreen Look

Default How To Achieve Widescreen Look

Hi, I'm a Vegas Pro user as you may have guessed.
    Anyway, I'm working just with some footage off a friends camcorder, and I was wondering how do you crop the bottom or top of the frame out completely to black?
    I don't want to shrink the image, but want the black border to come in further in the video to give the impression of wide-screen if you understand me.

If you have any idea's help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Ben

What is your source material, 4:3? If so make a Generated Media BLACK above the Video Track and use a Bezier mask. Or anything that'll mask the top and bottom. If you have 16:9 already, then . . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    What is your source material, 4:3? If so make a Generated Media BLACK above the Video Track and use a Bezier mask. Or anything that'll mask the top and bottom. If you have 16:9 already, then . . . ?
    It's 4:3. Thanks for that, i'll try it. I actually found masking in a couple black banners work to a certain extent, but your suggestion should work better.

Or go to crop/pan. Hold down ctrl and drag the box to any widescreen shape you want. Then just move the box up/down to highlight any part of the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Or go to crop/pan. Hold down ctrl and drag the box to any widescreen shape you want. Then just move the box up/down to highlight any part of the pic.
    I don't think this is what our chum wanted.

He was wanting the following: "I was wondering how do you crop the bottom or top of the frame out completely to black?" This was my first clue. Note, not transparent borders, but completely "black", which you'd not get from altering the FRAME size. It "appears" black, but it isn't

Here's the second:

"I don't want to shrink the image, but want the black border to come in further in the video to give the impression of wide-screen if you understand me."

Again, a black border.

Trouble with altering the Frame in Pan/Crop, any video that is on a Track below would be visible within the top and bottom areas of the altered Frame.

There is another issue with altering the Frame and then "moving" this around, you can ONLY get that which is present within the crop to show. Move the shape north or south you start to get the South vanishing and for moving South you get the North vanishing. If you JUST want a "sliver" through the central region - sure - but for your: "
    Then just move the box up/down to highlight any part of the pic.
    meaning, being selective, this wont work.

Pan/Crop is for exactly that - it Pans and/or Crops the Frame . . . . nothing more and nothing less.

True Grazie, but no mention of laying over another track - just black bars to give the impression of WS. I use this method a lot to give the impression of a more panoramic picture. Not sure what you're getting at when you say being selective doesn't work. Works for me. If I could work out how to add a screenshot, () I'd post one here to see if that's what Ben is trying to achieve.

okay, I gave the 'ctrl crop' method a go.

Original:

Cropped:

Gives the impression that I'm after, although there is the problem that any effects applied change the appearance of the new black banners too.

Not sure what you're getting at when you say being selective doesn't work.
    - Understood.

Quote Originally Posted by benesotor View Post
    . . . . although there is the problem that any effects applied change the appearance of the new black banners too.
    If you are using the cropping method, THAT should not be happening? Could you post a screengrab? I've tried to repro this. The only changes are to the area within the Crop?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by benesotor View Post
    there is the problem that any effects applied change the appearance of the new black banners too.
    I suspect you are applying effects to the TRACK.

If you apply FX to the EVENT the effects will be restricted to the cropped area which is, I think, what you want to achieve.

(To apply FX to the event, right click the event on the timeline and select apply event fx OR click on the icon under the crop icon on the event; to apply FX to the track, click on the FX icon on the track header at the left of the timeine)
    Tim

Hold on! You've already created BARS, I can see that in the screen-grab. So you AREN'T just adding FX to a Pan/Cropped video image, you are adding an FX to an already prepared and rendered out pan/crop video?

Please confirm . . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast