Thread: Derren Brown and those pesky lottery numbers

Blog Entries

Default Derren Brown and those pesky lottery numbers

Were you one of the 3 million people transfixed at Derren Brown's trick?

As I watched, the only thing I could think was "what bloody awful lighting and dodgy camera work". If it was that now famous "shaky" technique, it was the worst exponent. So either it was to "prove" theres was no camera jiggery pockery, or the camera man was drunk.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    As I watched, the only thing I could think was "what bloody awful lighting and dodgy camera work".
    So you were distracted. I understand that to be one of the key weapons in the armoury of illusionists.

Aside from that it's all a matter of style. As you say the wobbly camerawork adds to the reality feel and the poor lighting adds to the reality feel (ie it's been caught "as is" rather than having been set up carefully in a studio), adds a certain mystique and can hide a multitude of sins.

What's your take Gaffer? Was it poorly lit or actually very carefully lit to make it look such?
    Tim

Blog Entries

I think it was carefully lit. It's not how I would liked to have done it but there's no right or wrong way to light something like this. It brings across the "empty studio" very well and shows him up against the background. I'm surprised that they used so few lights so maybe they had to be positioned very accurately?

Or maybe the LD is more disciplined than I and isn't susceptable to the "just one more light" method!

To be fair on the cameraman... He will have done a whole series of rehearsals all day with a camera which weighs the same as a bag of potatos. He didn't have a cable-basher (or, at least, we don't see one) so the whole weight of the camera and pull on the cable is on his shoulders and arms. About 10 kilos. After a day of rehersals and the pressure of a live show where they can't cut to another camera to give him a chance to reposition, added to the fact that he must keep the balls and the presenter in shot at all times... I think he did remarkably well. By the end of the show his arms will have been killing him.

Edit: Didn't see it "live" but it's a bloody good trick innit?
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 09-11-2009 at 08:01 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    Edit: Didn't see it "live" but it's a bloody good trick innit?
    Demonstrated by everyone talking about it. The theories advanced on the internet (from "it was a split screen" to "they draw the numbers 2 hours before") belies the elegance of the stunt. I'd like to think Mr Brown is beyond cheap parlour tricks. It's also interesting just how many people are so assured that their solution is true...