Thread: subtitling in premiere

Default subtitling in premiere

hello all. Im from croatia and this is my first post here so hello to everyone.)

I have a footage that has been filmed recently with Panasonic P2 HDV camera. It has been edited and all at it is meant to be sent to a range of foreign film festivals. It is the croatian film so i have to put the english subtitles in. What I want to do is this: it si original 16:9 footage but i want to export it so it has black line on top an bottom for more film-like effect. So, I would have to export it in uncompressed avi format so i dont lose quality, and then import it back into premiere so i can write subtitles on the bottom black line. So, I am asking all you pro´s is that the right thing to do or will I lose the quality by doing that? Is there an easier way to do so since there are only 5 dialogue sentences in the film?

thnx

question no.2: what is the best premiere plugin where there are different film looks so i can decide how do i want it to look before sending it to color correction?

no one knows about the subtitling?

Blog Entries

, I am asking all you pro´s is that the right thing to do or will I lose the quality by doing that? Is there an easier way to do so since there are only 5 dialogue sentences in the film?
    In theory whatever method you chose you will lose quality. That's because the export dimensions are fixed so that the effective pixels will be reduced by croping the image. If you export to a lossless fomat as an intemediary file, you will not get generation degredation. However, this does seem like a long winded method. You could use a sepereate sequence to crop the video amnd apply the subtitles as an alternative.

question no.2: what is the best premiere plugin where there are different film looks so i can decide how do i want it to look before sending it to color correction?
    I use magic bullet looks from red giant Red Giant Software: Magic Bullet Looks 1.2

thanks for the reply.

my footage is filmed with panasonic p2 HDV camera and the premiere info says that it is 25 fps. are magic bullet tools like instant HD and deinterlacer good to use to make it look more like film? i would like to color correct it with colorista, and a look with looks and then use those 2 tools. is that the right order?

and is there a tool with which i can manually add those widescreen black lines or does that happen by default while exporting? the screening version should then be transferred to DIGI BETA for screening purposes.