Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with Video FX - it only does the borders..?

1. Default Trouble with Video FX - it only does the borders..?

I am new at Sony Vegas, and just getting the hang of it, when - I think I clicked on something - the Video FX options do not work like they worked before. I wanted to blend a video with another one, then I wanted to desaturate the top vid. But it only does the edges!

Example:

I didn't use the 'desaturate' option, but the 'cold' one.

It's not like I want to go pro on this, but I think fanvids are an excellent way of improving my video editing skills.

Blog Entries

I suspect that the difference you're witnessing between how the FX work now and how they did before is down to where you are applying the FX.

In Vegas you can apply FX to the event (just a single bit of a clip that shows on the timeline), the media (the whole of the clip as captured/imported), the track (ie all events appearing in the same track on the timeline) or the project.

Furthermore, with envelopes and/or keyframes you can affect how much of these FX (or particular parameters of these FX) are applied over time (within event, media, track or project)

As you can see there are many variables which is one way in which Vegas is so flexible. It does however mean you have to pay great attention to keeping track of where you've applied FX etc.
    Tim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I suspect that the difference you're witnessing between how the FX work now and how they did before is down to where you are applying the FX.

In Vegas you can apply FX to the event (just a single bit of a clip that shows on the timeline), the media (the whole of the clip as captured/imported), the track (ie all events appearing in the same track on the timeline) or the project.

Furthermore, with envelopes and/or keyframes you can affect how much of these FX (or particular parameters of these FX) are applied over time (within event, media, track or project)

As you can see there are many variables which is one way in which Vegas is so flexible. It does however mean you have to pay great attention to keeping track of where you've applied FX etc.
    I'm sorry...but I don't understand. I can take another look at it..

Also it looks to me as if you have superimposed a 4x3 video ON top of a 16x9? Do you have 2 tracks of video?

I'd need to see a screen grab of your timeline . . . .

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Also it looks to me as if you have superimposed a 4x3 video ON top of a 16x9? Do you have 2 tracks of video?

I'd need to see a screen grab of your timeline . . . .
    Alright, let me see.. I took a screencap of my whole screen, but I thought that was too big. (I don't have the example anymore, but I'll try to do the same thing)

Methinks Grazie has hit the nail on the head. Looks like a 4:3 clip on top of a 16:9 clip, with the FX only added to the lower 16:9 clip - which is why you can only see the FX at the edges.

Hi ForesnicDuck

If both your clips are 16:9 and not different sizes, click the VFX icon next to the word "Draft" in your preview window ..that allows you to apply the fx to just a section of the preview screen so you can compare a "before" and "after" shot.

It does look like 16:9 with 4:3 on top but it was worth mentioning the VFX preview settings too...fooled me the first time I carefully applied an effect and Vegas only applied it to half the screen, so watch that one too!!

Chris

Chris, at the moment our chum has the FX-Bypass engaged. Now, as you had found out, that COULD mean that he has By-passed the FXs OR he has By-passed the Fxs with the sub set of "ALL" engaged. There are at least 2 possible outcomes from having that Icon depressed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Methinks Grazie has hit the nail on the head. Looks like a 4:3 clip on top of a 16:9 clip, with the FX only added to the lower 16:9 clip - which is why you can only see the FX at the edges.
    I thought that was intentional but that forensicduck was having a bit of a problem assigning FX at the right "level". My bad.
    FD - Many apologies - I was answering a more complex question than you were asking. I suggest you do what Grazie says and post a grab of the whole screen and ignore my reasonably accurate but irrelevant post.
    Tim

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I thought that was intentional but that forensicduck was having a bit of a problem assigning FX at the right "level". My bad.
    FD - Many apologies - I was answering a more complex question than you were asking. I suggest you do what Grazie says and post a grab of the whole screen and ignore my reasonably accurate but irrelevant post.
    Well, I was rather confused by your reply, but I just tried to just grab a video file and see what it does then, same thing happens.

I'm so glad people are willing to help me. I just got the program so I'm still very much in a learning stage..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast