Thread: Widescreen!....whats the deal

1. Default Widescreen!....whats the deal

Bonjour!,

Im rendering some widescreen footage, my properties are set to pal dv widescreen, the video properties are the same and im using the same render template yet when i play the footage using media player or gom player its 4:3!.... It previews ok in Vegas on my 32" Samsung LCD TV (see images below)

How can this be?....am i really a moron!

Any help would be awesome!

Preview:

Playing on media player:

I had the same problem, not sure why it is as the file is correct, I now use Media Player Classic as it plays it correctly and uses less resources.

3. Default

Someone, anyone!.....is this just a media player issue??..........will it be ok when i burn it on dvd?? i dont get it!

Blog Entries

Media player is known to have issues with playing DV AVI with an aspect ratio of 16:9. It's likely an issue with media player and not with your file as stated above. I assume that when you burn to DVD you will be authoring a DVD for use in a stand alone DVD player, which will eliminate this problem anyway.

Hi Guys

My mediaplayer 10 plays AVI's in squashed mode too!!! However it seems to play 16:9 without any problem as long as it's in an MPEG2 format.

Remember that 4:3 PAL video is 720x576 and 16:9 PAL video is also 720x576 but has a flag in the file to tell the DVD player that the horizontal pixels are wider.
    It seems that plenty of versions of MediaPlayer cannot read this flag so they play the video squashed!! Your final DVD will be perfect!! Don't worry.

Maybe grab a copy of VLC mediaplayer which is free and use that to check your clips????

Chris

Z Cheema - I think you meant DVD -RW or +RW, not just -R? I use the ReWriteables (RW) specifically for testing work through to DVD set-top player.

Chris - VLC Player can also lead you astray with this "gotcha". And yes to the invisible flag in WMP, I've spent much wasted time thinking it was me and my encoding in Vegas. I now have a personal DVD Player that is oblivious to the flag too! Real pain.

Blog Entries

As I understand, VLC Player has an option to force aspect ratios. A cure the problem if not a solution to the root cause.

Marc, yes it does have the option. I have used it and it has NOT made16:9 . It remained stretched vertically.